• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Free Chile Japones Seeds

Guajillo seeds come with this offer.... we're talking food peppers, not freakishly hot peppers

Pm on the way! I am always up for "food" peppers that won't kill me! Although some of the ones that my kill me are awfully good. Haha

Heat from Japonés (HA-poh-NESS) and savory from guajillo (plum and pipe-tobacco notes in the dried pods) could set a person up nicely.  Nice offer.

swellcat said:
Heat from Japonés (HA-poh-NESS) and savory from guajillo (plum and pipe-tobacco notes in the dried pods) could set a person up nicely.  Nice offer.
The dried guajillos do have that pipe tobacco/raisin-ey/berry note to them. And almost the texture of a fruit roll up. A pretty tasty pepper

The dried guajillos do have that pipe tobacco/raisin-ey/berry note to them.

Glad I didn't imagine that.

Until this year, I'd never seen a green guajillo/mirasol, as far as I know.  The bagged ones in Fort Worth are always dried, and always from Peru.  Turns out, the seeds in those pods are viable.

ifoqar.jpg

Today, I tasted a green, immature guajillo/mirasol (or inexact mirasol/guajillo spawn).  Blindfolded, I couldn't have distinguished it from a green bell: it was juicy, thick-walled, zero heat, very little sweet, and grassy-vegetal in flavor.  It reminded me of why I always seem to prefer ripe over immature stages in all the chiles I've tried, to date.  So, the fruit flavors and tobacco essences must develop in ripening and/or drying stages.  Caveats are 1) the inexactness of the genetics and 2) north Texas isn't Peru, but we'll see how it shakes out.

Yep. Ripe is the way to go for just about any pepper. I pickled some green pepperoncinis, and they were pretty good, but I ate a few ripe ones off of my plant, and I've decided to let them all go ripe. They're quite sweet and tart, with just a hint of heat.

Now if I could only get my HOTS to grow faster! Still waiting on fataliis, yellow scorps, tabascos, and a mystery red I have... so this is what I'm doing in the mean time.... guajillo and japones seeds. I've tested the japones seeds and they germinated fine. I haven't tested the guajillos yet, but I don't think they'll be any different. They were packaged by the same company (Orale)

Back