• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

The Pacific Northwest GLOG 2014...CLOSED FOR THE 2014 SEASON

Today launches The Pacific Northwest GLOG, geared towards growers from this region.  Since there appears to be disagreement on what states, and areas, actually comprise the Pacific Northwest, I will use a broad definition, in order to include more growers.  If anyone thinks the definition could be even more broad, it can always be changed.  Come one, come all.

Oregon
Washington
Alaska
Northern California
Idaho
Montana
Wyoming
British Columbia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Northwest

I am from the Rogue Valley, in southern Oregon, so, I will begin with a couple of shots from my yard, which over looks the Rogue River.

Me, and my Cacho de Cabra, which stands at 4' tall.

Some non-chinenses.

Chinenses.

GRIF 9265.

I'm using the square foot gardening method.  Plants are getting close.  I like the appearance.

A weird cross.

MoA, Scotch Bonnet.  Can't wait for these.  I have 4 plants.

Weather is into the 90s today, and will hit 101F tomorrow.  It's funny the misconceptions people have about Oregon weather, in particular, southern Oregon.  Good luck to all.  I hope this Pacific Northwest GLOG will be a success!

I need to take some pics, I've been waiting for some warm weather! I need to get my drift boat down there and clobber some steelhead! Southern Oregon is awesome. I used to turkey hunt in your area too!

Mine are no where near as good as yours, but here's a couple pictures of my plants:

Jalapenos:
mc92YmA.jpg

Ghost pepper that I cut the top off of because it was flowering when it wasn't even 7 inches tall yet. Thinking it was a clone.
iJDMYG4.jpg

Pimento that should be flowering really soon:
8yO75mH.jpg

Baby Bhut:
RgydxEJ.jpg

Red Caribbean habanero:
ceqIDdm.jpg

Scotch Bonnet that keeps dropping flowers for some reason.
TPGiUfc.jpg

Another habanero plant that's growing really weird:
qi21D7z.jpg

Completely unrelated to the pepper forum, but this is my dog Belle :)
7tyydhF.jpg

Well even though most of BC is far away from the coast, it's included so here I am! I've got a few plants growing in coco this year. I've concentrated on Bhut's, MoA's, Trinidad Scorpions and Cayenne's.

One of the Bhut's I have growing. Just put it into a Hempy bucket. I have 3 or 4 others in hempy's as well.

One of my Yellow Trinidad Scorpions

Biggest Yellow T. Scorpion

The smaller cayennes have just been potted up. I even have 3 ripening up.

Neil

xBrianxEdge said:
Mine are no where near as good as yours, but here's a couple pictures of my plants:

Jalapenos:
mc92YmA.jpg

Ghost pepper that I cut the top off of because it was flowering when it wasn't even 7 inches tall yet. Thinking it was a clone.
iJDMYG4.jpg

Pimento that should be flowering really soon:
8yO75mH.jpg

Baby Bhut:
RgydxEJ.jpg

Red Caribbean habanero:
ceqIDdm.jpg

Scotch Bonnet that keeps dropping flowers for some reason.
TPGiUfc.jpg

Another habanero plant that's growing really weird:
qi21D7z.jpg

Completely unrelated to the pepper forum, but this is my dog Belle :)
7tyydhF.jpg
Hey man. Those plants are a very healthy green. When does your season wind down? Does Belle ever fall asleep with the ball in her mouth? My dog, who is much smaller, falls asleep with a tennis ball in her yap. I'll get a photo up eventually. Thanks for jumping in here.

Roguejim said:
Hey man. Those plants are a very healthy green. When does your season wind down? Does Belle ever fall asleep with the ball in her mouth? My dog, who is much smaller, falls asleep with a tennis ball in her yap. I'll get a photo up eventually. Thanks for jumping in here.
Oh thanks!
I actually don't know if it's even wound up yet as this is my first year living in the PNW and it's my first year actually GROWING anything haha. I moved up here from San Diego, which is pretty much good weather to grow anything all year round! Oh well though. :) I like it up here much better! 
Belle never falls asleep with the ball in her mouth, but let me tell you, it's IMPOSSIBLE to get that ball from her even though she wants me to throw it so bad! Heh. Hopefully more people get on this thread! Would you have any idea as to why my Scotch Bonnets are dropping their flowers? I can't even really see the fruit form, the flowers just open, then fall =/

Thanks!

Blister said:
Well even though most of BC is far away from the coast, it's included so here I am! I've got a few plants growing in coco this year. I've concentrated on Bhut's, MoA's, Trinidad Scorpions and Cayenne's.

One of the Bhut's I have growing. Just put it into a Hempy bucket. I have 3 or 4 others in hempy's as well.

One of my Yellow Trinidad Scorpions

Biggest Yellow T. Scorpion

The smaller cayennes have just been potted up. I even have 3 ripening up.

Neil
That bhut has bigger, and more pods than all my 4 bhuts, combined.  How long does your season last?  Never heard of Kokanee beer?  Is it local?  Thanks for joining this fledgling glog!
xBrianxEdge said:
Oh thanks!
I actually don't know if it's even wound up yet as this is my first year living in the PNW and it's my first year actually GROWING anything haha. I moved up here from San Diego, which is pretty much good weather to grow anything all year round! Oh well though. :) I like it up here much better! 
Belle never falls asleep with the ball in her mouth, but let me tell you, it's IMPOSSIBLE to get that ball from her even though she wants me to throw it so bad! Heh. Hopefully more people get on this thread! Would you have any idea as to why my Scotch Bonnets are dropping their flowers? I can't even really see the fruit form, the flowers just open, then fall =/

Thanks!
I wish I had the answer.  Mine all drop flowers at onetime or another, some more than others.  If the plant is not producing pollen, the flowers drop.  Apparently, too much nitrogen can cause it, as well as intense heat/sun.  You might want to ask in the Growing subforum.  That plant looks healthy, otherwise.

Roguejim said:

I wish I had the answer.  Mine all drop flowers at onetime or another, some more than others.  If the plant is not producing pollen, the flowers drop.  Apparently, too much nitrogen can cause it, as well as intense heat/sun.  You might want to ask in the Growing subforum.  That plant looks healthy, otherwise.

That's really weird. The only nitrogen I've given this plant was some fish fertilizer I got from a local nursery, and it's only 5-1-1 so it's not that bad at all...and that was a whiiiiiiiile ago...hm =/ Maybe I just got a dud or something.

xBrianxEdge said:
Oh thanks!

Thanks!
Oh yeah, I meant to say I used to fish out of San Diego for yellowtail, albacore...The best fishing I ever encountered. We used to go out of Fisherman's Landing, Point Loma...back in the 1980s. I'll always miss it. I grew up in southern Cal.

Roguejim said:
That bhut has bigger, and more pods than all my 4 bhuts, combined.  How long does your season last?  Never heard of Kokanee beer?  Is it local?  Thanks for joining this fledgling glog!
Thanks RJ! My season is about 90 days long and it starts about the middle of May. I had to start early in the year to get where I am today. I think it was around January-ish when I had started... for the second time.

I wouldn't call Kokanee a local beer. It's brewed in Creston BC with water from the Kokanee river. I tend to drink it because it's fairly cheap compared to the others. You could say that I'm a real 'discerning drinker'! I'm looking forward to seeing what other PNW growers are doing.

Neil

Roguejim said:
Oh yeah, I meant to say I used to fish out of San Diego for yellowtail, albacore...The best fishing I ever encountered. We used to go out of Fisherman's Landing, Point Loma...back in the 1980s. I'll always miss it. I grew up in southern Cal.
Nice nice, the Navy brought me down there. I grew up in the Central Valley area in California. I'm glad we moved up here though! It's much nicer; the people and the weather (yes I said that! haha) 

Hey everyone! Thought I'd snap a few pics for the launch of this fine blog!

Here's the pepper plot:
v6iN1KCl.jpg

The tomato plot:

NLQ0UkUl.jpg

The Triffids, also known as the hops:

oDDmT1Gl.jpg

And the everything else raised beds:

Xbi9oTvl.jpg

Hoping to get some good production this year! I'm a newbie at serious pepper growing, but have dabbled in the past. 

Any of you NW folks thinking about putting up some shade cloth for tomorrow's forecast? Supposed to get to 99 in the PDX area. That's 25 degrees hotter than yesterday.

blorvak said:

Hoping to get some good production this year! I'm a newbie at serious pepper growing, but have dabbled in the past. 

Any of you NW folks thinking about putting up some shade cloth for tomorrow's forecast? Supposed to get to 99 in the PDX area. That's 25 degrees hotter than yesterday.

I don't think I'll be putting any up. If it gets unbearably hot and I start seeing signs of stress, then I'll move in to the shade. All my plants are in containers, so that's a huge advantage :)

This is another Jolokia plant I had in a 5" square pot. It too was spitting out the pods before I put it into a hempy bucket. It's got a bunch of buds on it now and I'm hoping that it'll continue to put pods on.

Same plant in a hempy bucket

Canopy of my largest yellow scorpion.

Pic of my grow room. I started out with a tiny foot stool and 12ish plants in 2" round pots. This is what it looked like the other day when I brought all my plants in from the high winds.

Neil

blorvak said:

Here's the pepper plot:
v6iN1KCl.jpg

The tomato plot:

NLQ0UkUl.jpg

oDDmT1Gl.jpg

Xbi9oTvl.jpg

I had 4 hop plants, but took them out since I could never get the alpha/flavor to match what I could buy at the brew store.  Mainbrew is the best brew store in the PDX area :)

No shade for me tomorrow.... all sun!

blorvak said:

Here's the pepper plot:
v6iN1KCl.jpg

The tomato plot:

NLQ0UkUl.jpg

oDDmT1Gl.jpg

Xbi9oTvl.jpg

Ah!  I was hoping you would show up here!!  We are hitting 101F tomorrow.  No shade cloth.  I'm just too lazy, I guess.  Temps drop down to 92F on Wed., and 90F by Thursday.  So, what do you do with the hops?  What variety? 

Blister said:
Thanks RJ! My season is about 90 days long and it starts about the middle of May. I had to start early in the year to get where I am today. I think it was around January-ish when I had started... for the second time.

I wouldn't call Kokanee a local beer. It's brewed in Creston BC with water from the Kokanee river. I tend to drink it because it's fairly cheap compared to the others. You could say that I'm a real 'discerning drinker'! I'm looking forward to seeing what other PNW growers are doing.

Neil
Hey, I just noticed something...How many glogs are you running?  I couldn't handle that many!

EDIT:  Never mind me.  I thought you had two other glogs, but, I see, just one.  I'm losing my marbles.

Roguejim said:
Hey, I just noticed something...How many glogs are you running?  I couldn't handle that many!

EDIT:  Never mind me.  I thought you had two other glogs, but, I see, just one.  I'm losing my marbles.
No worries RJ. Of all the things I've lost, my mind is the one that I miss the most :lol:

Neil

Jim - thank you for starting this glog.  I'm so pissed my photos are sideways.  I will correct on my next post!

Here is my update for today.  Took these pictures this evening so the light isn't very good.  Gonna be a hot one tomorrow!

Aji Mystery (a seed ajijoe put in the package)
20140701_032522304_iOS.jpg

Jalapeno Cracked
20140701_032527288_iOS.jpg

Ancho
20140701_032544239_iOS.jpg

Red Hot
20140701_032553765_iOS.jpg

Yolo Wonder
20140701_032559045_iOS.jpg

Anaheim
20140701_032604182_iOS.jpg

Santa Fe
20140701_032628321_iOS.jpg

Jalapeno
20140701_032645943_iOS.jpg

Aji Pineapple.  Looking pretty weak for some reason.  Thoughts?
20140701_032702407_iOS.jpg

Guarani
20140701_032709814_iOS.jpg

Bulls Heart
20140701_032748149_iOS.jpg

Aji Poblano
20140701_032755400_iOS.jpg

TS Butch T
20140701_032811647_iOS.jpg

Reaper
20140701_032822340_iOS.jpg

Pasilla
20140701_032830406_iOS.jpg

7 Pot Primo
20140701_032836512_iOS.jpg

Bhut Jolokia White
20140701_032845817_iOS.jpg

Habanero
20140701_032910481_iOS.jpg

Gochu Garu
20140701_032914570_iOS.jpg

Hatch
20140701_032920026_iOS.jpg

Big Jim
20140701_032931252_iOS.jpg

Giant Jalapeno
20140701_032943290_iOS.jpg

Aji Dulce.  The Runt.  Not sure what is up.
20140701_032950357_iOS.jpg

Hawaiian Sweet Hot
20140701_032955271_iOS.jpg

Back