A Tale of Two Grinders (Making Powder)

I've been using mason jars on a blender to good effect, but have been researching "higher end" grinders to make powder. Several people have recommended the Waring Spice Grinder. It currently lists for $129 at the ubiquitous online monopoly retailer.

7980016.jpg

In my research, I've found a few website comments saying this $35 Cuisinart is the essentially the same as the Waring model (just some cosmetic tweaks). They appear to be similar in shape and size. Curiously, it's difficult to find any additional specs on the Cuisinart model - even on the Cuisinart website. Companies sometimes do that when they outsource to others for re-branding. I'm wondering if that's indeed what's going on here.

41JTIrjb4mL.jpg

Does anyone have experience with the Cuisinart spice grinder or other thoughts? I'd like to upgrade if it makes a difference, but so far the jar/blender system seems to work fine.

I have the Cuisinart one and it's great. I use it for all my spice/curry powder blends. I haven't used the first one before so can't compare, but I did use an old electric coffee grinder and the Cuisinart beats it hands down. Takes very little time and the end product is always very fine, unlike some others.

I wasn't planning on buying a spice grinder today, but my girlfriend will probably kill me if I use the coffee grinder for making powders again.

I'll let you know how the Cuisinart works out. I went with the 3-year warranty for $7. I'll put some miles on those tires without hesitation.

Made about a quart of smoked jalapeno powder with the Cuisinart today. Incredibly fast, shreds seeds to dust, but it overheated twice. I've found it's less of an issue if I stick with pulsing them until everything's at least coarsely ground.

Would recommend, but might not be ideal for those needing a higher production capacity. 

The Cuisinart is still going strong. If I have one complaint, it's that the seal between the dome and the grinder cup is just plastic-on-plastic. Powder tends to slip through after running a few batches.

Cleaning up super hot powder residue is risky business.

I was just thinking about getting a good grinder earlier today, might have to give this one a shot for that price!  Did you get the Cuisinart directly from the company or did you get it elsewhere?

AlabamaJack said:
I use a Magic Bullet and it outperforms all others I have tried...

if you are interested..

https://www.buythebullet.com/
Yikes! If I had the money I would certainly consider it.  Fortunately, now that you mention it, my buddy that I split a dehydrator with has a magic bullet...I hadn't even thought of that...Thanks!  looks like I can hold off on purchasing a grinder for awhile

SmokenFire said:
FWIW Waring is the 'commercial' brand of Cuisinart. 

Definitely Commercial. I have been using mine for about 8 years now and I can still put 5 whole nutmegs in there and turn them to powder in about 30 seconds.

All I ca say is,  you get what you pay for.

sreinhard88 said:
I was just thinking about getting a good grinder earlier today, might have to give this one a shot for that price!  Did you get the Cuisinart directly from the company or did you get it elsewhere?

I got mine here: ($115.36) http://www.webstaurantstore.com/waring-wsg30-commercial-spice-grinder-120v/929WSG30.html?gclid=CMzfyNzdgsACFQWnaQodM6YA9g

I have the Waring Spice Grinder and a couple other types. I love the Waring but it DOES NOT get me to the very fine powder I normally achieve. There is always texture remaining, not a bad thing but certainly not a super fine powder. It is very stable and sturdy, commercial product and first class hands down. You will find the cheaper ones break down and the worst is when plastic parts end up in your powder. :) 

JoynersHotPeppers said:
I have the Waring Spice Grinder and a couple other types. I love the Waring but it DOES NOT get me to the very fine powder I normally achieve. There is always texture remaining, not a bad thing but certainly not a super fine powder. It is very stable and sturdy, commercial product and first class hands down. You will find the cheaper ones break down and the worst is when plastic parts end up in your powder. :) 
i have no problem getting it fine?  maybe some drunk dude at the factory put yours together :rofl:

guys...I am telling you..the Magic bullet makes very fine powder...I also have a 1.5 hp centaur that is incredible....I sometimes "rough grind" the powder in the centaur then finish it off with the bullet...in 2011 I made somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 pounds of scorpion powder...a lot of it went to John Dilley...

http://www.centaurfoodservice.com/Product/Index/48

08-10-14007.jpg

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Maybe our definition of fine is not equal :)
maybe Chris. maybe.

or maybe i push the button more than you?  i can get powder like baby powder out of that machine. its no biggie,nothing to get in a pissing match over.

dont make me go buy this
double_zone_1.gif

:rofl:

dang it joyners  why are you content with telling me that i cant get a fine powder with what i use?   trade powders for what?  

:rofl:

here lets make this simple: every grinder sucks besides the one you use to get the finest powder in the world.  im cool with that :dance:

Back