• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Looking for non-fermented sauce ideas - Wiri Wiri + Reaper

So I like red pepper sauces - but I absolutely hate fermented sauces. Anyone got some good ideas for me? Something that sorta stands out from the norm?

Basic criteria:

1) No mixing fruit and peppers. Not gonna happen (unless we're talking tomatoes - no mangoes, peaches, etc)

2) No fermentation!

3) Wants lots of garlic

4) No fermentation!

5) Superhots fine - got lots of Wiri Wiri and Carolina Reaper

6) No fermentation!

7) Keep the peppers red. Got lots of Datil and Fatalii sauces

I had a Red Savina sauce sometime back that blew my mind. (not fermented) I don't have Red Savinas this year, and I wasn't able to get that recipe. But it's been on my mind forever. It went great with just about everything - from green veggies, to lamb, beef, and chicken. Don't even get me started on how that went down with fish tacos.

My sauces don't usually last more than a few weeks, tops, so they go straight to the fridge.

Help me out here, sauce experts...

This may fit what you are looking for just peppers, onion and garlic. Here goes...

12 ounces of your favorite hot pepper
3 tablespoons fresh garlic
1 cup onion chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 cups water
1 cup distilled white vinegar

Sauté peppers, garlic, onions, salt and oil for 5 minutes over high heat. Add the water cook for about 30 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated. Remove from the heat and allow the mixture to come to room temperature. Once it has reached room temperature purée it in a food processor. While the food processor is running slowly add the vinegar. Run purée through a food mill to remove seeds and then transfer to sterilized pint jar or bottle. Refrigerate and let it age at least 2 weeks before using.

You can make it as hot as you want with your choice of peppers, and you can adjust the amount of garlic to fit your taste.

Hope this helps.

Well I see he wants garlic, so just add garlic, lol.

I like simple sauces.

I would roast the garlic first. It takes the harsh bite out and adds sweetness.

Peppers
Rice wine vinegar
Roasted garlic
Vidalia Onion
Coriander
Lemon juice
Salt

That'd be very garlicky and savory with a citrus balance. Don't consider it fruit, consider it acid with flavor. :D

OK, so I made 2 sauces.  First one - I took about a half a cup of wiri wiri peppers, plus one undersized reaper, and added it to half cup white vinegar, half cup water, 3 cloves of garlic, and a decent size bunch of cilantro.  Just a bit of salt.  I cooked it down for half hour.  It was good.  Lasted all of 2 days.

Next batch - 7 Reapers, 80/20 mix of rice vinegar and a nice French red wine vinegar, with a tablespoon of salt.  Half cup of the vinegar mix, half cup of water, 1 giant clove of garlic.  Holy fuck this stuff is hot.  I use about 1 drop per bite of food, and it's freaking atomic.  Oddly enough, it's not harsh in the stomach, at all.  But my face hurts for an hour after I eat it. LOL

Taste. Salt brightens/enhances, in other words, makes flavors pop. You don't want to taste the actual salt, that's when you've oversalted.

The best example is soup. Unseasoned is bland as hell but it may be the perfect recipe. A few shakes and it is amazing.

In Hawaii we have what is called chili pepper water. The basic recipe is pepper,vinegar, salt, water.
I add garlic and ginger to mine.

2 cups water
1/2 cup vinegar (white/cider/matter of personal taste - I use rice vinegar, adds a touch of sweetness)
1 tablespoon salt
peppers of choice, halved or quartered
garlic cloves, crushed not chopped
ginger root peeled and cut into 1/4" thick pieces  - crushed like the garlic

Start the water to boil
in a clean mason jar, add all other ingredients.
When water comes to full boil, add it to the mason jar
(it won't all fit but better to have too much than not enough)

Throw a towel or coffee filter over top and secure with rubber band.
Set it on the side til it cools to room temperature.

Pour into your favorite sauce bottle making sure to fit the chunks in there too and refrigerate.
Can use it right away but better to leave overnight.
Flavor tends to improve with time

Edit: Well I just read the first few paragraphs of salsaladys guide to sauce making and it looks like I'm breaking a few of her rules to keep the nasties out. Can't say you'll be ok not following her guidelines. My technique has been done the same way for generations but I think there's a lot more germs and bacteria floating around than there was 100 years ago. What is ok for my gut may not be for yours so take it at face value there.

Back