• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

One plant is fine, the other wilts in the heat?!?

I have a handful of pepper plants grown. They seem healthy and I have a few peppers almost ready to harvest, but all but 1 of the plants wilts big time in the sun or when it doesn't rain a few days in a row. These plants all have the same history. The only thing different about this plant is that it seems shorter than the rest. Most are much taller. The other plant in this pic is the closest in size to the one that never wilts. 

Ideas?

IMAG1614_zpse11dfc6b.jpg

Sounds about right. It depends on individual plant. I have infinity seedlings outside right now, one wilts, one in the pot next to it doesn't, same size. Moruga scorpion wilts, reaper just burned, sunrise scorpion did both, scotch bonnet did neither. Just the way things are with these plants.

One thing I've learned in the short time I've been in this hobby is that no plant is created equal - even plants of the same strain for that matter

Same seed package. Same everything :/

Maybe I should stim the others down a little? They got tall from being inside too long and had a hard adjustment when I moved them out. 
They're hot thai birdseye BTW

Thanks. 

"Same everything" doesn't actually exist. Think about it - a person can have the same mother, same father, and same type of rearing, yet each sibling turns out different. Plants are no different. Some uptake water faster than others - it's that simple. Give the thirsty ones more water (more often), and the others less so. In a way it's a PITA, because you end up watering more often that you want to, but your plants will reward you for it.

Doesn't matter what strain they are. They're only as close to each other as you are to your brother/sister, and that's being generous. Peppers can be fertilized by more than one speck of pollen, so more than likely the ones you have are only half siblings.

dash 2 said:
     I've found japanese beetle grubs in my pots before. Might there be something eating its roots?

Could be, I'll take a look, just odd that 10/11 plants wilt, one looks great lol. Not complaining though, I think they're all healthy.

How do you check for parasites other than digging into the pot?

Perhaps for whatever reason the roots are less established than the other plants and so less prepared for the heat? Might explain shorter top growth. Try giving it a little less direct sun for a bit until there is more growth maybe?

Back