• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

First Fatalii - YUM!

Bought a few peppers at the farmers market today and at the end the guy said, "I'll throw this one in as a bonus, it's a fatalii, so be careful." I didn't even notice it sitting there or I would have snagged it myself, but I was super excited, since I have never had the opportunity to taste these. As soon as I got it home I sliced a few slivers off and dug in.

De-licious!

I am now officially the newest convert in the fatalii nation. The citrusy, floral heat is right up my alley. My only complaint is that the pepper I got had a grand total of two seeds in the whole pod. How am I supposed to start my fatalii empire with only two seeds?!!?!

I'm growing fataliis this year for the first time (I've never eaten one either).  Have a handful of nice size pods on it now...just waiting for them to ripen...like watching a pot of water waiting for it to boil...

I'm growing fataliis this year for the first time (I've never eaten one either).  Have a handful of nice size pods on it now...just waiting for them to ripen...like watching a pot of water waiting for it to boil...

You and me both! (My pods are only 1/3 grown though)

Arrrrgh. FIrst plant ever this season. Loaded with flowers, but not one pod yet. (Then again I haven't checked in two days. Maybe I'll get lucky?)

edit: Grabs flashlight and heads out to garden...

edit again: also grabs beer...

edit: Found a 1 inch fatalii! WOOHOO! Also found: 2 mantises, 3 slugs and one ripe aji lemon drop! 

"How am I supposed to start my fatalii empire with only two seeds?!!?!"

Start them early and make cuttings!! ^_^

I haven't had one yet either but have 3 yellow and 3 red fatalii germinating right now.

I'm growing them for the first time too. I have many pods forming on my reds but nothing on my yellows yet, and the yellows were sown sooner. So frustrating!

Just remember if your Fataliis aren't making blistered out pods something's not right ;) 

20140706_174433_zpsboq2n6ke.jpg

20140706_174404_zpszyk1kijw.jpg

Fatalii yummy, I got my best friend hooked on these, he is growing a total of 30 pepper plants 20 are fatalii :D I myself only grow a few each year, as I need room for all the other varieties I love!

Grew several Fatali's last year. They make a beautiful powder. Trying Devil's Tongue this year, which looks very similar to a Fatali.

I have one raised bed exclusively for my Fatalii's and several potted. As of yet only my potted ones are producing pods. Definitely one of my favorites for flavor.  When I have them they replace all Habs in my Salsa's. 

Fataliis are among my favs. I've got quite a few growing this year, plus some interesting Fatalii based clones.

In addition to a great heat/flavor ratio, Fataliis tend to be quite prolific - along with nagas and bhuts. Any hotter, and pod production goes down for me.

I guess I'll have to give them another taste test. The one pods I had the other day was overly floral and bitter...

Um, maybe my Fatalli's didn't work properly because my better half and I agree they taste like Shampoo ....

Each to their own !

Um, maybe my Fatalli's didn't work properly because my better half and I agree they taste like Shampoo ....

Each to their own !

That's what I got when I ate a whole pod. They work great in sauce though. And in tiny bits the citrus does come through.

teejay said:

Each to their own !
Can I get some of that Shampoo please.

I picked up a pack of seeds this past spring and I'm happy to say a whole lot of the Fatalli seeds germinated so I kept every seedling and have about 8 plants. I just picked my 1st 3 pods on Friday and they are in my dehydrator. I can't wait to try them as a powder by mid next week.

I had 4 seeds of them that I had harvested from a half ripe pod that was sent to me, from a friend. but they didn't come up, I expect that the pod wasn't ripe enough.
I know you're in the middle of winter where your at, but I would start them as soon as you can and take cuttings of any side stems and dust the cut end with rootone if you can find it,  its a rooting hormone that will get the cutting to root faster.  I have a white Devils tongue that is doing better than most of my plants, I can't wait to try them.  It must have a dozen pods on it, I think I will dig it up at the end of the season and over winter it.

Growing both Devil's Tongue and Fatali this year, 2 plants each. Devil's Tongue is a winner. It has way more pods per plant, it is a great producer. Both great citrusy flavor and nice heat. Next year DT.

Back