• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Poblano

Burn them! until the skin is BLACK over a BBQ flame or under the broiler.
Put them in a paper sack sealed shut for ten minutes, then peel them. The blackened skin will come right off.

Now you can make a slit in them for stuffing (Rellenos) or just slice'em~n~dice'em and put on burgers, pasta, pasta salad, just salad, pizza, you name it.

Relleonos:
Stuff with refried black beans, Jack and Cotija cheeses,
re-close the slit with toothpick's and put in the freezer for 15-30 minutes just until firm.
Batter then deep-fry. Top with some simple rojo sauce and grub tough.

Scoville DeVille said:
Relleonos:
Stuff with refried black beans, Jack and Cotija cheeses,
re-close the slit with toothpick's and put in the freezer for 15-30 minutes just until firm.
Batter then deep-fry. Top with some simple rojo sauce and grub tough.

I'm not sure we have Cotija cheese but that recipe sounds good.

Cotija is not necessary. Use Cheddar, Moz, Jack, Ricotta, Velveeta, heck even Brie in a pinch. LOL

Here is my favorite Batter for rellenos. Tip: use cold eggs.
For a simple batter, whip 3-6 cold egg whites in a chilled bowl until they are stiff. Stir up the remaining yolks and slowly fold them in with a pinch of salt. Use approximately 2 large eggs for each pound of chiles, or 1 egg per extra-large chile.

If you want to go nuts, here is one of my recipes for Rojo sauce:

• 3 Tablespoons sesame seeds
  • 20 Blanched almonds
  • 1/2 cup green pumpkin seeds
  • 5-6 guajillo Chiles (dried)
  • 2-3 New Mexico Chiles (dried)
  • 2 Habaneros (dried)
  • 2 Tablespoons lard or vegetable oil (lard will make it more flavorful)
  • 2/3 cup finely diced white onion
  • 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
  • 1 Tbs Mexican whole Oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 pinches ground cinnamon
  • 5 cups chicken broth

the skin is kinda thick, if u bake them, it will be easy to peel off before eating, or as scovie said u can burn them which actually give the whole meal bbq taste.

Yup....
You can roast them under the broiler, on the grill, on the burner, in a hot CI pan, over an open campfire, torch or probably even a BIC lighter.
Char the skin, bag them or foil tent to sweat them and peel the skin.
Stuff with your favorite stuffing and follow Scovies directions for the batter and Rojo.

Damn.. I'm gettin hungry

Chile Relleno ♥

I also like to make a "salad" with them.

Truth is I tend to wing it when I make it but I can give your a general idea.

Vague recipe follows.

Roast and peel 5 or 6 Poblano. Slice them into about ½ inch thick rings.
1 thin sliced Valida onion.
Cherry tomatoes halved.
About 4 or 5 onces of sliced black olives.
Crumbled feta cheese.
handful of chopped fresh basil.
2 or 3 garlic cloves minced.
2 or 3 tablespoons salt(Yeah I know that's a lot)
1 tablespoon cider vinegar(Balsamic works too)
Olive oil to coat.

Mix, and refrigerate for a few hours to let the salt, and vinegar do their work. Mix well again before eating.

Found a pic I had. Mind you this one I made with cubanelles because people who didn't like heat were eating.
1tA9alK.jpg

Here are a couple options:

Poblano Rice
Ingredients
  • 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
  • 1/2 medium white onion, chopped
  • 2 poblano chiles, stemmed, seeded and chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
  • 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 cup chicken broth, plus more if needed
  • 1 cup long grain rice
Directions
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a medium, heavy nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and saute until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the poblano chiles and saute, about 8 minutes. Mix in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Season with the salt and pepper. Add 1 cup broth and bring to a boil. Turn off the heat and let cool.
Transfer the mixture to a blender and process until smooth, about 1 minute. Measure the liquid yield from the blender, adding more chicken broth if necessary to yield 2 total cups of poblano liquid. Adjust seasoning to taste.
Meanwhile, clean the skillet, place over medium heat and add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Fry the rice until slightly golden. Pour the poblano puree into the skillet and bring to a simmer. Turn down the heat to medium-low and cover tightly. Cook for 30 minutes, turn off the heat and let rest for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork before serving.

Poblano Chicken
ingredients
1 large white onion, chopped
5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
6 whole chicken legs
1/2 pound fresh poblano chiles (about 4), stems, seeds, and ribs removed and chiles chopped
3 ears corn, kernels cut from cobs
1/2 cup sour cream
3/4 cup chopped cilantro
Equipment: a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker
Accompaniment: white rice
preparation
Put onion and garlic in slow cooker. Top with chicken and season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Layer
poblanos and corn over chicken and season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cover and cook
according to manufacturer's instructions (chicken should be falling off the bone).
Lift chicken from cooking liquid and transfer to serving bowls. Whisk sour cream and cilantro into cooking liquid, then
spoon over chicken. Season with salt and pepper.
selected reviews
yield:
Makes 6 servings
active time:
10 min
total time:
4 to 12 hr (depending on slow cooker setting)
RECIPE RESCUE: Use boneless, skinless thighs. Lose the black pepper. Add lime juice, mace, allspice, cumin,
mexican oregano, achiote seeds, and double the garlic. Add chile pods or powder - aji panca is a good mild
choice, as is cayenne red. Congo Trinidad powder is an excellent hotter choice, or habaneros if you like their
flavor. I put the achiote seeds into a tea bag so I could remove most of them - the bag split, but the seeds soften
up enough during cooking that having some wasn't a problem. Sorry, I don't measure spices when I cook, but can
tell you I use them liberally. I made this on a day when I was home, so could give it an occasional stir. Otherwise,
layer the seasonings with the chicken and veggies. 

The poblano chicken is a recipe I nabbed from Epicurious.com, and the recipe rescue at the bottom is mine. The original recipe is extremely bland, so even if you don't follow the changes I made, you'll definitely want to add your own seasonings of some kind. It was really excellent the way I made it.
And yeah, I don't make the poblano rice the same way as the recipe. You know why, and can guess what I do differently.  ;)

mx5inpa said:
What do I do with ripe poblanos?

inb4 "dont let them get ripe"

Use them as you would Green Bells. That is how I use them mostly, raw, diced, in salads, sandwiches, veg platter with Ranch dip, or just sprinkled on stuff like eggs.

I grow ancho mulatto, a brown poblano type. They taste so good, I usually just eat them raw when ripe. However, I do also use them ripe in cooking. The decision to use green or ripe is a personal one - only you can decide which you prefer for a given chile.

Back