• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Sodium Alginate

Has anybody used this as a thickening agent? and if so, how did you find it? Quantities used to get desired consistency etc.

I am planning to make a seaweed based chilli sauce (no laughing at the back!! :P ) and would like to use alginate to stay on the seaweed theme!

Thanks!!

Don't know anything about sodium alginate, but there's also carrageenan...

Good Luck!

salsalady said:
Don't know anything about sodium alginate, but there's also carrageenan...

Good Luck!

Yeah, I have access to carrageenan, but I was favouring alginate as I will be using brown seaweeds to make the sauce and carrageenan is only found in certain red seaweeds e.g. chondrus crispus (Irish moss). Will give it a go and see how I get on, when I tried to make jellied sweets out of alginate it worked quite well but the sweets were dissolved after a chew or 2, so didn't really last as long as a jellied sweet should.

Good luck with the project.  If you have time and inclination, post up a pictorial in the Making Hot Sauce thread.  Love to see and hear how it works.   This is probably one of those things that might require a few trial batches to get it right.  Also,  I know of a business that sell thickening agents of all sorts and they do a lot of blends.  They may have a seaweed-based blend that would work.  PM me if you want their contact info.  They are US-based, not sure of their international support.

Wow, a seaweed based chilli sauce!

I have access to loads of Undaria, I'm thinking a fermented seaweed/chilli sauce.

So outside the square, I love it!

icon_think.gif

Thanks, I might not even need the alginate if there is enough present in the seaweed.

I found one recipe online but I will be increasing the seaweed and using maybe a mix of fresh hot peppers (maybe fatalii) and bell peppers, but ultimately I will be playing about to see what works.

"Pepper and Kombu (Laminaria Digitata) Sauce
 ​
Chopped Kombu, 1 tsp full 
Olive oil 
2lb red, yellow or orange bell peppers 
1 1/2 tsp minced garlic 
2 tsp malt vinegar 
1 tbs fresh lemon juice 
1/2 tsp sugar 
1/2 tsp salt, or to taste 
Cayenne to taste

Method:   Preheat broiler and lightly brush baking tray with olive oil. On the tray place the whole peppers and Kombu, previously soaked in cold water. Broil peppers, and Kombu turning every 5 minutes for about 15 minutes.  Transfer the mix to bowl and cover with a plate. Let it cool for 45 minutes and retain the released juices.  Peel peppers and remove and discard seeds and stems. Mince the mix and return to bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients, and adjust salt and cayenne to taste.   Serve cold or at room temperature. Store in tightly sealed jar in refrigerator"

Do you think a fermented sauce would suit a seaweed based sauce better or non ferment. I will try both just to see, and adapt a few recipes on here to suit my application.

I plan to try Kelp (laminaria digitata) and dulse (palmeria palmata). Undaria would be worth trying but it is harder to get for me.

Back