• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Looking for a good sauce with fresh grown dill

I *love* the smell of tomato plants, basil, sage and dill.  I absolutely love harvesting them because of this...

With Dill, though... it grows so abundantly... I'd love to use this somehow.

I'm picturing something like Dijon, heavy cream, dill, kosher salt, maybe some wine... fresh key lime juice & zest... *daydream*

Curious if anyone has some good dill sauce recipes...

Are you trying to use peppers in the dill sauce? If not, I've got recipes for a dill sauce I make to put on sautéed fish. Also a recipe for a Potato, Cucumber, and Dill Salad, and a Dill Sauce that goes with the Potato Salad. They all use Dijon and cream, and the sauce for fish uses white wine to deglaze the pan.

I don't have a complicated recipe but a simple one we use every year, just used it last week.

1-2 cucumbers
1- Tbls sugar
2- Tbls white vinegar
1 bunch chopped dill

Mix all together and chill in the frig a few hours.

½ cup Sour Cream
½ cup Mayo
¼ cup Yogurt Whey(You can sub Buttermilk)
¼ cup Sweet winter squash(Butternut, Delicata) Riced not just mashed.
¼ cup chopped fresh dill
2 cloves garlic minced fine.
1 tbsp cider vinegar.
2 tbsp salt

Mix well. Goes well with fresh veggies, or sea food.

Here's my Dill Sauce recipe. It goes well with the Potato Salad recipe and fish recipe I'll post next.

DILL SAUCE

1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup plain yogurt
2 Tsp mayonnaise
2 Tsp chopped fresh dill
1 tsp Dijon mustard
Dash of Tabasco sauce
Salt and pepper

Combine sour cream, yogurt, mayonnaise, dill, mustard, Tabasco sauce.

Season with salt and pepper.

Blend well. Allow to stand at least 1/2 hour or refrigerate up to 24 hours.

Serve at room temperature.

POTATO, CUCUMBER AND DILL SALAD

2 lb small red potatoes, sliced
3 1/2 tablespoons (Tsp) rice vinegar
1 1/2 Tsp Dijon mustard
6 Tsp vegetable oil
1/2 cup chopped fresh dill
Salt and pepper
1/2 lb cucumber, sliced

(Could also add a little diced sweet red onion)

Cook potatoes in boiling water until just tender (5–10 min). Drain and transfer to large bowl.

Add 2 Tsp vinegar to potatoes and stir in gently.

Combine remaining vinegar, mustard in small bowl, gradually add oil then chopped dill.

Mix into potatoes, season with salt and pepper.

CAN BE MADE TO THIS POINT 6 HOURS AHEAD. COVER AND CHILL. BRING TO ROOM TEMPERATURE BEFORE SERVING.

Mix in cucumber and garnish with dill sprigs.

FISH WITH CREAMY DILL SAUCE

Several sorts of fish can be used. I have used Orange Roughy, Grouper, Steelhead Trout and Swai.

Olive oil
Fish fillets
Salt
Black pepper
4 Tsp white wine
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup sour cream
1 tsp Dijon mustard
2 Tsp chopped dill
Paprika

Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Season the fish with salt and pepper, then sauté on both sides until fish is cooked and flakes easily. Remove to a platter and keep warm.

Add the wine to the skillet, bring to a boil, stir and loosen and incorporate any fish left in the skillet. Combine the lemon juice, heavy cream, sour cream and Dijon mustard. Add to skillet, simmer and reduce slightly. Stir in the dill. Serve the sauce over the fish and sprinkle with paprika.

Back