•  

Photo

Time to Turn it all Around ... It begins in Earnest... Trials and Tribulations of Trippa's Season 2014-2015

organic soil balcony trippa reaper chocolate Yellow Bhut x Primo F3 Mystery Cross F2 fabric pots bhuts

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#41 gnslngr

gnslngr

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:31 PM

Brother Tristan-

Looks like you have a good plan mapped out , bigger is usually better for pots as long as the plant is up to it size wise. Nothing wrong with that soil mix , as long as they get adequate water(sounds like it would dry out pretty quickly).Bleach the hell outta those broad mites!

My season started late , plant out was late June , which is a bad time for little plants to learn the ways of nature, the sun is merciless , the bugs are peaking , and its been raining like crazy.

I've lost several of my hopefuls this year , but really should have more than enough plants to get a bunch of pods. Fingers crossed , I won't see em for another 2 weeks or so , but about 50% were looking a bit worse for wear.....my hope is that the soil will dry out a bit , and some of my issues will go away.

My only RAJA type Bhut is a Peach Raja SR from Grant , 2 came through for me so I 'm lookin forward to those.

Have a mean season!

DJ

www.marsocfoundation.org  "A gov't big enough to give you everything you need, is big enough to take everything you have." www.lonesurvivorfoundation.org

#1A Guest

• Pip
  • 1 post

#42 Trippa

Trippa

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,539 posts
  • aka:Trippa

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:27 AM

Brother Tristan-
Looks like you have a good plan mapped out , bigger is usually better for pots as long as the plant is up to it size wise. Nothing wrong with that soil mix , as long as they get adequate water(sounds like it would dry out pretty quickly).Bleach the hell outta those broad mites!
My season started late , plant out was late June , which is a bad time for little plants to learn the ways of nature, the sun is merciless , the bugs are peaking , and its been raining like crazy.

I've lost several of my hopefuls this year , but really should have more than enough plants to get a bunch of pods. Fingers crossed , I won't see em for another 2 weeks or so , but about 50% were looking a bit worse for wear.....my hope is that the soil will dry out a bit , and some of my issues will go away.

My only RAJA type Bhut is a Peach Raja SR from Grant , 2 came through for me so I 'm lookin forward to those.

Have a mean season!
DJ

Cheers for stopping in Dave!! Yeah the plan is there but even the greatest plans come unstuck without contingentcy plans in place. Unfortunately my contingency plans consist only of "must try harder-refer to plan A" in bold letters ;) :D
Yeah the drying aspect worries me a little in terms of my mix but I am hoping if I mulch adequately and add sufficient coir and a couple of other minor amendments I should be OK. (I may reduce perlite to 20% ) I have real issues in our climate of compaction of soil in summer and because I top water this adds to the issues hence the perlite proponent needs to be increased.

I just bought a 5litre container of bleach for my containers I will be reusing (just for the initial starts ) and the plastic boot trays they sit on ... the new fabric pots won't be an issue ... I will be also spraying everything on that balcony with a pyrethrin / wettable sulphur mix the day before I discard the plants and deal with the pots so I don't bring them inside near my seedlings ... little bastages get everywhere

Sorry to hear of your tough starts ... its always harder starting young plants off on the back foot. Best of luck for the rest of your season bro
Yeah looking forward to that Raja Choc Bhut ... looks like it ticks all the boxes

Everything on this glog = Just F%£*king marvelous.

#43 PaulG

PaulG

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 9,626 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 01:59 PM

Sounds like you will get a good handle on the mites, Tristen!  Good luck with that.

Can't you just drop your plants off the balcony?  Then all you have to do is wash

down the balcony   :rofl:

I can't wait to see your beautiful plants and pod pics for the upcoming season!

:dance: Every Pod a Victory!  Life Force is Strong!

Pimenta de Neyde x Bonda Ma Jacques - Community Grow 

#44 Trippa

Trippa

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 05:09 PM

Sounds like you will get a good handle on the mites, Tristen!  Good luck with that.
Can't you just drop your plants off the balcony?  Then all you have to do is wash
down the balcony   :rofl:

I can't wait to see your beautiful plants and pod pics for the upcoming season!

:rofl: trust me Paul it is extremely tempting ;) not sure everyone would be as onboard with that idea though ... I guess I could just shrug my shoulders if caught and blame some guy over in the Pacific North West for having the idea ay Paul? ;) No it will have to be some old fashioned hard work unfortunately for my time sheet. Off work with a Severe head cold today but have some good drugs to help me trundle through ... maybe I will surprise the wife with a clean balcony when she gets home... then again movies sound good ;)

#45 Trippa

Trippa

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:02 PM

OK question for the AACT users out there .... this year (while the wife knows nothing of this yet ;) ) I will be dabbling for the first time proper into some AACT.

Before I go and purchase the only setup equipment I need : (AKA the Aeration setup) I just wanted peoples opinions on whether this piece of kit would aerate sufficiently up to 10-20 litres (roughly 2.5-5 US gallons) of AACT at a time effectively for it to stay Aerobic?  Or is that overkill/Underkill??  

Cheers

#46 Trippa

Trippa

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:52 AM

Just sprayed the main balcony plants with a kill brew of pyrethrin and Wettable Sulphur .... will clean up the balcony this coming weekend (remove all plants have decided I will not risk keeping any of my plants even my 3-4 season OWs  :( )  and spray the balcony down with the same mixture again and clean it with sugar soap the next day .... 

This approach means I will be able to put a couple of extra new plants on the back balcony instead of my OW's ...

#47 OCD Chilehead

OCD Chilehead

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,521 posts
  • aka:Chuck
  • Location:COLORADO (Western Slope) closer to Moab than Denver

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:53 PM

OK question for the AACT users out there .... this year (while the wife knows nothing of this yet ;) ) I will be dabbling for the first time proper into some AACT.

Before I go and purchase the only setup equipment I need : (AKA the Aeration setup) I just wanted peoples opinions on whether this piece of kit would aerate sufficiently up to 10-20 litres (roughly 2.5-5 US gallons) of AACT at a time effectively for it to stay Aerobic?  Or is that overkill/Underkill??  

Cheers

I think that pump will work just fine for 5gallon bucket and under. The use of two stone will work. I stir the mix a couple times a day. I upgraded to a industrial style pump. I think it was about $35.00 US dollars. I use two of the ports. One for each 5gallon bucket. Thought that down the line I would need more air for a bigger tea reservoir. I haven't got that far yet. Next year for sure. Good luck Tristen.
image.jpg
OCD 2017 GLOG http://thehotpepper....63305-ocd-2017/

"There is no path to happiness: happiness is the path."

#48 Trippa

Trippa

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:50 PM

I think that pump will work just fine for 5gallon bucket and under. The use of two stone will work. I stir the mix a couple times a day. I upgraded to a industrial style pump. I think it was about $35.00 US dollars. I use two of the ports. One for each 5gallon bucket. Thought that down the line I would need more air for a bigger tea reservoir. I haven't got that far yet. Next year for sure. Good luck Tristen.
image.jpg

Cheers for stopping by bro!! Thanks for your input ... i thought it would be fine but don't want to make a dud purpose ...I was looking at a pump almost identical to the one you posted as well but they wanted 12.95 for postage and they live in the same city ... hence why I am leaning towards a free postage option with the full kit ... no messing about that way... still haven't pressed go yet ...

#49 OCD Chilehead

OCD Chilehead

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,521 posts
  • aka:Chuck
  • Location:COLORADO (Western Slope) closer to Moab than Denver

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:03 PM

I would research a little more. Maybe others will give there input. I always find something cool and when I buy it I find something cooler.LOL. Now I always research a little longer, unless I absolutely need it right away.
OCD 2017 GLOG http://thehotpepper....63305-ocd-2017/

"There is no path to happiness: happiness is the path."

#50 Trippa

Trippa

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 01:05 AM

I would research a little more. Maybe others will give there input. I always find something cool and when I buy it I find something cooler.LOL. Now I always research a little longer, unless I absolutely need it right away.

My own OCD never allows me not to over research ... sometimes I wish I could just make a decision on the spot... but then I know it could be wrong :D ..

#51 Trippa

Trippa

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 05:35 PM

So after only one jiffy of jalapeños out of 4 sprouted in my initial batch of seeds put down 4 weeks ago.
I chucked another lot of the same Jalapeño seeds into my round of seeds planted last Thursday after a 24hr soak in a combo of weak black and chamomile tea (I used the combo as the tannins are supposed to soften the seed shell and the chamomile has anti-fungal properties).
First one was sprouted yesterday morning making it less then 6 days from planting.
Not sure if I can put it down to the different soaking solution just yet.
Funny thing is not 1 but 4 of the original jalapeño seeds in one jiffy decided to sprout overnight last night making it exactly 4 weeks and 1 day to germinate... never had an annuum take that long before. Moral of the story ... never give up ;)
Also soaked my new arrivals from Grant @jungle rain ... so into the black/chamomile tea mix went 3 each of Cabe Gondol and Bhut jolokia Assam Raja JR strain chocolate ... will be putting them into the jiffy pellets and into the incubator tonight ...

#52 Trippa

Trippa

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 02:41 AM

Spent my whole Saturday afternoon. Sorting out my balcony and scrapping all my overwinters ... bleached all my pots and tools.
Sulphured and pyrethrined my clean balcony and tomorrow morning will scrub it down with sugar soap to clean it before potting up some seedlings!! Feel pretty good considering I scrapped 3-4 near 4 season plants and 20 or so others
But when looking at them it was obvious they needed to go and a clean slate for my new seedlings laid out.
Still getting pieces together for my final potting mix but have enough on hand for some small pots

#53 stickman

stickman

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 06:03 AM

Good on ya for being so thorough on your initial prep Tristan! With seedlings already started, I can see why you would be. We're certainly wishing you the best for your new season. Out of curiosity... what's sugar soap? Cheers!

The Hot Pepper... If self-immolation is your goal... we're here to help! Posted Image

#54 Trippa

Trippa

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 08:15 AM

Good on ya for being so thorough on your initial prep Tristan! With seedlings already started, I can see why you would be. We're certainly wishing you the best for your new season. Out of curiosity... what's sugar soap? Cheers!

Yeah didn't want to take any chances .... the sugar soap is just a general cleaner (phosphate based alkaline soap) to clean the dirt from the balcony.. just to keep stains from forming where the trays sat .. heres a link http://www.selleys.c...ces/sugar-soap/
Its just an awesome All round cleaning solution you can use on almost any surface ... must have in the cupboard for lots of cleaning jobs

#55 AlabamaJack

AlabamaJack

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 15,791 posts
  • aka:AJ
  • (x2)

Posted 02 August 2014 - 09:14 AM

Hey mate..will be good to see your progress through the season...even though I am in the northern hemisphere and we are in the middle of summer...I started 6 seeds a couple of days ago to jump start my 2015 season...good luck on your grow Trippa and may the beneficial insect gods be on your side this year

AJ
"If people will learn to "listen" to their plants, they will tell you what they want". AlabamaJack

#56 stickman

stickman

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 09:28 AM

Yeah didn't want to take any chances .... the sugar soap is just a general cleaner (phosphate based alkaline soap) to clean the dirt from the balcony.. just to keep stains from forming where the trays sat .. heres a link http://www.selleys.c...ces/sugar-soap/
Its just an awesome All round cleaning solution you can use on almost any surface ... must have in the cupboard for lots of cleaning jobs

Yeah, we can get trisodium phosphate at the hardware stores here for general cleaning... just add water.  I checked out the MSDS sheet on Selley's liquid sugar-soap and still don't see where the sugar comes in unless it's because the active ingredients are granulated. They're listed as 60% water, 10% trisodium polyphosphate and 10% washing soda (sodium carbonate). It also says that the color is a bluish-white, so I wouldn't be surprised if there was a little laundry bluing in there.

+1 on AJ's invocation of the friendly insect gods!

The Hot Pepper... If self-immolation is your goal... we're here to help! Posted Image

#57 Trippa

Trippa

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 03:48 PM

Hey mate..will be good to see your progress through the season...even though I am in the northern hemisphere and we are in the middle of summer...I started 6 seeds a couple of days ago to jump start my 2015 season...good luck on your grow Trippa and may the beneficial insect gods be on your side this year

Cheers for stopping in AJ! ... and thanks for the good wishes!. Yeah here's hoping the groundwork I lay this year pays off ... look I have to try ;) unfortunately I don't have a great backyard like yours (or maybe fortunately for my spare time :D ). Best of luck with your season ahead as well ... can't wait to see those great scorpion genetics growing again!

Yeah, we can get trisodium phosphate at the hardware stores here for general cleaning... just add water.  I checked out the MSDS sheet on Selley's liquid sugar-soap and still don't see where the sugar comes in unless it's because the active ingredients are granulated. They're listed as 60% water, 10% trisodium polyphosphate and 10% washing soda (sodium carbonate). It also says that the color is a bluish-white, so I wouldn't be surprised if there was a little laundry bluing in there.

+1 on AJ's invocation of the friendly insect gods!

Cheers Rick! Its called sugar soap due to the fact of its granulated appearance when in a dry powder form apparently.

Yeah here's hoping I can lure some good insects in this season.. I have a couple of plans to help that along...

#58 Devv

Devv

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,889 posts
  • aka:Scott

Posted 02 August 2014 - 04:11 PM

I'm looking forward to a "mite free" season. Ever think of spraying the walls on the balcony? Bastards are everywhere....

Good luck!

Edited by Devv, 02 August 2014 - 04:12 PM.

It's all about the pods....

#59 Trippa

Trippa

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 06:11 PM

I'm looking forward to a "mite free" season. Ever think of spraying the walls on the balcony? Bastards are everywhere....

Good luck!

Hey Devv! Yeah so am I ... fingers crossed on that!!
I have thought of spraying the walls (and glass panels) ... and then I did it ;) ... yeah I sprayed the area around the plants up the walls up to about a metre off the ground and all of the edges of the balcony ... hope it will be enough ... can't be sure it got everything but sure better then it was ... enough to give the plants a headstart and some time to grow some good bug attracting plants ... that's the plan ...
Thanks Devv!!

#60 Devv

Devv

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,889 posts
  • aka:Scott

Posted 02 August 2014 - 06:35 PM

All right, then you should be good.

Great minds think alike ;)

It's all about the pods....

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: organic, soil, balcony, trippa, reaper, chocolate, Yellow Bhut x Primo F3, Mystery Cross F2, fabric pots, bhuts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests