• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Hydro medium support question

For my hydro pepper growers out there..

I am going to be starting a hydro grow in a few weeks after I complete the DIY build of my clone bucket and my DIY DWC/drip system...it is going to be a 8 site system that is similar to the GH water farm and will be grown in a 7'x7'x7' grow tent ....and if it gets too tight in the tent I am able to take as many single modules from the system as needed but I think 6 will for for sure fit but 8 might be pushing it and if that is the case I will make another resevoir/controller and have 2 modules growing out of the tent somewhere, wife will love me for that ...lol

As far as medium...I'm looking for some kind of support for the peppers as they get bigger.

So would a 50/50 mix of hydroton and coco coir be ideal for more support (or as much support I can expect in a hydro situation)?

If not, what would you reccommend?

Swartmamba said:
i would go straight hydrton. many people make diy supports as plants get bigger.
 You mean like using string etc to support the plant?

I'm kind of thinking about when the plant gets big and will the hydroton be strong enough to hold the plant up like soil does when the plant grabs it with the root system...

some plants no matter what medium you will have to support them whether in hydro or soil. Yes many differrent style supports on the internets

frosty said:
Btw I do 50/50 perlite and coir
are you using a DWC system that has drip as well?

I will be running DWC with a drip , my system will be similar to the GH water farm...

Good point. I ran ebb and flow. I did try drip and it was fine. For my limited foray into DWC I just used hydroton. I suspect perlite and coir would make a mess in DWC.
On the ebb and flow I used fabric pots.

I'm using all hydroton for both my 10 gallon resoviours.  As for support for when the peppers get big, I'm going to take two of my tomato cages and use them to support the plants.  I'm not sure if that's gonna work, but my last go around with my 4 plants, they only got 22" tall, and about the same for width.

dlsolo said:
I'm using all hydroton for both my 10 gallon resoviours.  As for support for when the peppers get big, I'm going to take two of my tomato cages and use them to support the plants.  I'm not sure if that's gonna work, but my last go around with my 4 plants, they only got 22" tall, and about the same for width.
I was thinking about tomato cages as well but not sure how well that will work out in my grow tent...I think I will just go with 100% growstone and support as needed....

sp33d said:
I was thinking about tomato cages as well but not sure how well that will work out in my grow tent...I think I will just go with 100% growstone and support as needed....

growstone?  Is that something different from the hydroton?

Back