• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

4 new trees in 20 gal containers

I picked up a lil cado, a haas, a dwarf meyer lemon and a mexican lime tree. I will post some pics later when I'm off work. These trees compliment hot peppers very well. I will probably add some kind of dwarf orange tree this month.

I'm considering turning 3/4 of my back yard to crops and have a small lawn area by my patio.

sp33d said:
You will love your dwarf meyer...I have had mine for years and get over 6-8 lemons a year ...I'm in Michigan so I have to over winter and I use a 250w HPS...I use the same medium for my meyer as I do my peppers, they don't like wet feet either...

Good luck...

the dwarf meyer only produces 6-8 lemons a year ?

Here are the trees starting with the lemon, lime, haas and lil cado which is my largest tree. As you can see I'm letting my grass die so I can till it over the winter and use my yard for growing vegetables. The little one on the far left is an almond tree.

Attachments

• tree lemon.jpg
    tree lemon.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 137
  • tree lime.jpg
    tree lime.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 134
  • tree haas.jpg
    tree haas.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 143
  • tree lil cado.jpg
    tree lil cado.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 135
SavinaRed said:
the dwarf meyer only produces 6-8 lemons a year ?
My dwarf meyer lemon tree does..can't speak for anyone else's...also considering it takes anywhere from 4-6 months to ripen (varies on location etc).... I also have to bring him in to overwinter then back out for summer so I think that might hurt the production a smidge...when I bring it in for overwinter under the HPS it grows like crazy ....

sp33d said:
My dwarf meyer lemon tree does..can't speak for anyone else's...also considering it takes anywhere from 4-6 months to ripen (varies on location etc).... I also have to bring him in to overwinter then back out for summer so I think that might hurt the production a smidge...when I bring it in for overwinter under the HPS it grows like crazy ....
my dwarf meyer had 7 lemons on it when I bought it and it has lots of new growth. I'll post a pick tonight.

SavinaRed said:
my dwarf meyer had 7 lemons on it when I bought it and it has lots of new growth. I'll post a pick tonight.
I get tons of flowers but only average 6-8 ripe lemons that I am able to eat a year ...like I said I really think because I have to bring it in and out it hurts it's production...what happens is it will get a ton of flowers and by that time it starts to get cold here in Michigan I have to bring it inside and the shock of bringing it in makes it drop the flowers, then when it adjusts and starts to grow and get flowers it's time to bring back outside and the shock makes it drop flowers....so I average only 8sh lemons that hang on and end up ripening ....now if I was able to leave it indoors or outdoors I would get a sheeit ton more lemons like you will be able to since you are able to leave it outside cause your in California right?

Edit..or I don't know how to grow a dwarf meyer lemon tree lol

SavinaRed said:
I picked up a lil cado, a haas, a dwarf meyer lemon and a mexican lime tree. I will post some pics later when I'm off work. These trees compliment hot peppers very well. I will probably add some kind of dwarf orange tree this month.

I'm considering turning 3/4 of my back yard to crops and have a small lawn area by my patio.
Do it!  I think I am if I can get my wife on board.

Rather than starting a new thread I'm updating this one. After the trees in the OP I added a nectarine, peach, granny smith & Fuji apple, plum and sumato tangerine. We liked the tangerine so much that I just purchased a dwarf Washington navel orange tree. 

I will try and post some pics but my little meyer lemon has over 40 lemons and its only 3 feet. My 4 foot tangerine had 30 this year and its only 3 1/2 feet. My peach and nectarine tree have doubled in size since spring. My 2 avocado trees have about 2 dozen on each of them. I'm really looking forward to next season and might add a Holiday avocado tree to the mix. They are another dwarf tree.

With the freeze coming last night I picked all my limes and juiced them and put it into hot sauce bottle sterilized for storage in the frig. I read the juice will keep for 6 months this way. I have the tree covered for the next couple of days to protect it from the weather. Its the only tree I have that is sensitive to weather at 32*. The others can take 26* and some others below that temp. 

smokenmirraz said:
Dude, as a lover of avocado, limes, lemons, and chillies, I am very impressed with your grow so far :)
Thanks. I just added a dwarf navel orange tree and in January I have a Holiday Avocado Tree on order that should be arriving next month. The only other thing I'm going to be adding are Goji berries. Right now I'm growing strawberries, 2 types of red raspberries and lingonberries.

Back