• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Can I get help identifying the pepper plague in my plants?

Hey, new user to this forum here (although I've lurked for the better part of the past year). I finally created an account because I really need to ask for some feedback. I'm having some trouble with my plants, and am looking for advice on whether I should pursue treatment, or uproot the diseased plants and try again next year. The feedback I've gotten thus far from other indicates it's bacterial spot or a fungal infection of some sort.

Here's an album of some of the affected plants:
http://imgur.com/a/5xCVL

Each day, more of my plants are starting to show similar symptoms. I'm concerned I'm going to lose all of my plants to this.

In that case, I should do my remaining healthy plants a favor and get rid of these then?

It's a shame... looks like I'm going to lose most of my favorite varieties. Only one cayenne plant and two poblanos seem ok, aside from a few ornamentals. All of my various superhots, datils, fatalii, jalapeno, piri-piri, and CGN-21500 are starting to look like this and are dropping leaves like crazy. 

This is pretty discouraging.

I agree with Swampy that it is likely bacterial leaf spot. But I strongly disagree that there is no remedy. I had a wildfire case of BLS this spring / early summer. Not wanting to lose all my plants, I started pruning my plants to increase airflow and spraying / drenching with compost tea.
     I thinned a lot of the growth on the inside of the plants. These areas don't get much light, so they're all but useless to the plant. I just removed the majority of the shoots that were growing toward the center of the plant from outer branches. Also, I picked off any remaining overlapping leaves. The goal is not to create a hole in the center of the plant, just remove all the lower, shaded growth thats all crowded and retains rain and dew. 
     The compost tea does a lot of things for plants (many of which aren't well understood yet). Some say it outcompetes foliar pathogens that land on the surface of leaves. Some think it stimulates the plants' defenses against disease. Whatever. It works. About two weeks ago, about 3/4 of my plants were infected. And now I haven't found a new lesion since last weekend.
     Good luck and keep us posted!

edit: Also, pick off any infected leaves if you aren't already. They won't heal or get better, they'll only spread the disease to other leaves / plants.

Would "or similar" basically be any copper-based fungicide, or are they not all created equal? Also, would copper oxychloride have any effect if the cause is bacterial?

I think I may do a little experiment, and take 2 test plants. Treat one with copper oxychloride, and the other with some pruning and some compost tea and see how they respond before treating all of my plants.

Thanks for the input! It's been very helpful. I was feeling pretty down about the prospect of losing any of my plants, but now I'm a bit more optimistic. I may still be swimming in homemade hot sauces later this year!

I would presume so yes.. But that's the only one I've used.

Regarding bacteria, I've read it can help prevent in some cases.

Good luck :)

Copper is most beneficial in preventing BLS. There are mixed study results regarding whether it can actually help after BLS has started, however. I say use it - it can't hurt. When you cut off the leaves, wear gloves. Bag the leaves in a ziploc and seal it before tossing. Also toss the gloves in a bag and trash them. Wash your hands thoroughly. Don't let the bad leaves come in contact with any good leaves, if possible.

Thank you!

I've spent the entire day running around, but I've found everything I need for compost tea per the stickied "Beginner's Guide" thread... I've never made compost tea before, and unfortunately I since I am a relatively novice gardener, so my own compost is nowhere near ready.

I'm going to get the tea brewing first thing tomorrow!

I agree with the various methods suggested above. Also, care should be taken when watering. Do not spray the foliage as this will aid the spread of the pathogen. Do not allow soil to splash up onto plants as this is another possible mode of transmission. Maintain hygiene as if you were treating a person with the plague. Separate the plants as much as possible and don't handle a healthy plant after touching a sick one.

Back