• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Orange Brainstrain?

I think I have one. As of Halloween last year, my yellow brain strain produced an orange pod. it only made one pod though, so I need a few more weeks to tell if it was a mislabeled red brain that made orange because of the fall. Link to thread in a minute,
Edit: Thread is buried, but here's the pod. Careful, picture is fr#cking gigantic, not good for slow PC:
pAKrY25.jpg

The lighting is bad, it's a bit closer to a habanero than in that picture, just use the gold dollar as a color reference. Tasted bloody hot also.

There has never been an official Orange Brain released.  Some have said they don't turn fully red late in the year and look almost orange.  The unscrupulous grower will take any variation in pods to sell even more seed.  Buyer beware.

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
There has never been an official Orange Brain released.  Some have said they don't turn fully red late in the year and look almost orange.  The unscrupulous grower will take any variation in pods to sell even more seed.  Buyer beware.
That's why I said I needed to wait for the rest of the pods to ripen. It has about twenty now. Then again, it was labeled as a yellow, so unless that's wrong, and all the other plants I got grew true, then it has some variant. Even so, I need to grow a few more generations of this before I would ever sell seeds as "orange brain strain". I could give them out with a disclaimer that they might not look like the picture though.
Edit: It was definitely lighter than the other orange pods I got at the end of the year. Most of them where a bit darker than the one shown in the picture.(Picture is darker than what it actually looked like)

cruzzfish said:
I think I have one. As of Halloween last year, my yellow brain strain produced an orange pod. it only made one pod though, so I need a few more weeks to tell if it was a mislabeled red brain that made orange because of the fall. Link to thread in a minute,
Edit: Thread is buried, but here's the pod. Careful, picture is fr#cking gigantic, not good for slow PC:
pAKrY25.jpg

The lighting is bad, it's a bit closer to a habanero than in that picture, just use the gold dollar as a color reference. Tasted bloody hot also.

Yes, on my monitor it looks red.

Here is a picture of the pod in question. The plant is supposed to be a yellow Brainstrain.

100_0758.jpg

cruzzfish said:
Mine was from refiningfire

About half of my plants are from Jim's seeds. The others are from Judy.

Those are the only two vendors I have purchased superhot seeds from.

I do have a couple Jalapeno and Habanero I started from seeds I bought at Lowes (Burpee).

Two different plants, seeds from same packet (Yellow Brainstrain) I received from pepperlover.

100_0763.jpg

"Yellow BS" from a plant Impending Bending gave me.

Aji Limon for comparison.  The color is very close to a typical citrus orange you'd buy in the produce section.

None of the pods have ever been darker or more red, even earlier in the year. They go from green to orange, and stop. 

OBS.jpg

Back