• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Can the glass actually make beer taste better?

It always seemed to for me -- but after the second one it doesn't
make much difference anymore ......  :beer:  :beer:.......

14613488986_dfac0e0e49_m.jpg

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/innovations/wp/2014/07/11/can-this-glass-actually-make-beer-taste-better/?wpisrc=nl_inn

You can smell the aroma of the beer from a glass and it also looks way better.
It won't make the flavor better, its just a more pleasuring experience overall.
Enough talk. Pour! :beer:

Glass?
Wots a glass?

But seriously---unless you're a "beer snob" going on about "hints of smoke and bitters, mellowed by a floral tone reminescent of peach blossoms in the spring of France"-----a nice frosted mug is just fine.

like wine & champagnes, the glass is key to enhancing the experience.

now, where does the German beer stein fit in???? i have a nice one and should pull it out and wash it before tomorrow!!

Gotrox said:
Glass?
Wots a glass?

But seriously---unless you're a "beer snob" going on about "hints of smoke and bitters, mellowed by a floral tone reminescent of peach blossoms in the spring of France"-----a nice frosted mug is just fine.
"Can the glass actually make beer taste better?"

Guess you would have to ask the OP.

If'n I'm drankin' Chimay Red I decant it off the yeast into pitcher and pour as I like into

a large snifter.

Yeah I know what you're thinkin'.

"Snifter"?

I never even saw her.

The cheapass beer just stays in the can.

I for one don't really care how it tastes anyhow.

I'm all about the buzzouse.

If you're into tasting your beer for all it has to offer, then yes, a glass is a must. Even a plastic cup is still superior to in the bottle.

Gotta say though, -1 on the frosted mug thing. Cheapo beer yes. All day long. But beer you paid $10.99 a six pack for. NO FROSTED MUGS. Ever.  It will dilute the beer, which will muddle the flavor, as well as destroy any head retention to carry the aroma.

But honestly... if one doesn't care one way or another. Then the bottle is its own glass

I'd go with a beer mug or a bottle ...
if we're talking about canned beer I don't care .. bottled or a properly draught beer in a "designated" mug is the way to go
:cheers:

p.s.: I wrote this while drinking beer from a can :rolleyes:

Some very fine craft breweries are going for cans to house their beer now.  Just sayin'  For me, a different style beer has its own glass.  That said, I only have about six different styles of glassware for beer so I do have some carryover.  I have tulips, and snifters, and heffe glasses, and English Pints, regular pints, mugs, and whatever those tall thin glasses are called.

Of course it can.

Ever have a beer in a hot pint glass right after the bartender washes it? Blech!

Back