• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Question about unripe ghosts

Hi all! I'm new to this forum, found you doing research on the ghost pepper. We just moved out to 9 acres in February, and our first priority was getting a garden going. Our favorite pepper over the past several years has been the Caribbean Habanero. He loves (requires) spicy hot food, but wants flavor, not kill-you-deader'n-a-doornail hot! Unfortunately, our first 2 dozen plants were taken out by a late freeze, we have two tiny ones growing (any spare plants anyone?), and an extremely healthy ghost pepper. The peppers are nowhere near ripe, and here's my situation. We dehydrate our peppers by mixing them will olive oil,sea salt, Italian seasoning, and a bit of Caesar salad dressing, draining them, then into the oven. We use the leftover oil mix for sliced tomatoes to dehydrate the same way, to a leather soft stage, makes them nicely spicy. Now yesterday I harvested a ton of tomatoes - need to start dehydrating them but no peppers! Can I use a tiny bit of the unripe ghost pepper in the mix?

Thank everyone for reading - I love to make a long story longer!

i'd say cut one open and taste it yourself, they will be different tasting and will have very variable level of heat depending on how "unripe" they are.

i would wait till they are ripe. you do want the flavor it sounds like and you will not have it with un-riped.

what ever you do enjoy. and  :welcome:

Thanks all :) Maybe I can find some frozen dried ones from last year to use - won't be as potent, but better than nothing. I have about a bushel of tomatoes to put up!
And thanks for the welcome! Have to figure out where the emoticons are - they're enabled, but special ones like that - !

Do you just need 2-3 ripe pods for your batch?  I have a few red bhuts currently producing that I could pack off in your direction via USPS.

OKGrowin said:
i'd say cut one open and taste it yourself, they will be different tasting and will have very variable level of heat depending on how "unripe" they are.
Yes I did this a couple nights ago with my orange habs that are still green. I ate 3 of them no problem whereas a ripe one would put some hurt on me lol.

Back