event Pork in the Park, Stamford, CT - Aaron Sanchez tried my hot sauce!!!

What a roller coaster of a weekend!!!  We stepped up big time and did an official KCBS State Championship.  So many amazing people willing to offer advice and support (much like here on THP).  We didn't do as well as we hoped in the rankings but we put out or best BBQ to date.  Time to keep practicing and get after it again.

BUT, the thing that made the weekend for me was meeting Aaron Sanchez from Food Network.  He stopped by our cook site to ask some questions about the event.  After he walked away I dashed for my truck to find a bottle of my hot sauce.  I found him at the food tent.  He was super nice.  He tore open my bottle of Habanero Heat on the spot and covered his hot dog with it.  He described the sauce as having a bright flavor.  So stoked!!!

IMG_2194_zpsb6fb3cec.jpg

Chicken

IMG_2196_zpsf47072a6.jpg

Pork (money muscle in the front of the box and some chunks in the back)

IMG_2197_zps41aa69b5.jpg

Brisket

IMG_2200_zps9604ca58.jpg

sicman said:
dude that food looks insanely awesome,great job.

looks like you had a great time no matter what youre ranking was.  you can only get better from here.

The only bad part was the shooting that happened less than 2 blocks away.  5 people shot, no fatalities, and they caught the scum bag within an hour.  We heard 9 shot pop off from a small cal pistol and then tons of sirens as the police responded.  It was surreal.  

congrats!  Great opportunity meeting Sanchez, and getting out into the competition.

Husker21 said:

The only bad part was the shooting that happened less than 2 blocks away.  5 people shot, no fatalities, and they caught the scum bag within an hour.  We heard 9 shot pop off from a small cal pistol and then tons of sirens as the police responded.  It was surreal.  
i bet all that smell from the competition drove dude crazy. he couldnt take not having some of that grub.

Nice turn-in boxes.

Aaron (air'rone) is cool peeps.

Gotta love Stamford. not. Congrats on your event I wanted to go but had Family parties all weekend. I diggin the thighs they look incredible and bonus meeting Aaron Sanchez! I like him and Roger Mooking show Heat Seekers 

The Hot Pepper said:
Nice turn-in boxes.

Aaron (air'rone) is cool peeps.

Thanks boss!

I know how to pronounce air'rone and habanero... I just always forget how to insert the punctuation when I type.  lol

There's no tilde~thingy in habanero, think we already went through that in the label thread, though.

Back to the 'Q! 

sicman said:
i bet all that smell from the competition drove dude crazy. he couldnt take not having some of that grub.

This was our 5th contest where the public was walking by constantly.  This was by far the worst for people asking for free samples.  We were trying to get our boxes perfect for turn in and these people are ducking their heads under our canopy with there hands out

just tell them to come back in (10-20-30) minutes.  :lol:

I've never been to a competition. Is it common practice to ask for samples from the contestants?

It's kinda tacky I guess.  If we weren't in full blown competition made boxing stuff up we would chat with people and if they were cool... we would offer samples.  We ended up sending all of our left overs to the festivals main tent were the organizers offered it to the attendees.  

Back