• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Anyone into reefkeeping?

G'day Islander,

I have been an avid Spearfisher and Freediver for the past six years. I have tried Scuba, but found it all too noisy and cumbersome when compared to Freediving.

I've had some very memorable dives over the years and hopefully many more to come. If I had to pick my best dive, it would have to be earlier this year while I was diving for Scallops (which is quite a chore, but worth it).

I was on the bottom in about six meters (20ft) of water looking for Scallops when I looked out in front of me and saw two Bottle nosed Dolphins. They were stationary and about five meters (16ft) away. One was hovering over the other with the suns rays through the water reflecting on their backs. They were looking directly me with their big eyes. After what seemed like minutes (most likely only seconds) I made my way back to the surface. They weren't bothered by my movements and continued to stay there and watch. When I got to the surface I looked around for my friend to call him over so he could enjoy the moment also. Once my head was out of the water both Dolphins breached the surface right in front of me to get some air and were never seen again.

To top off an already great day, later that same day I saw my first Blue Ringed Octopus.

Cheers......

I just recently got out of saltwater reefekeeping and miss it already. I had a 144 oceanic half circle tank stocked sps dominant. Few months ago i did some snorkeling in Hawaii and miss it every day!! I would like to get my diving certs soon and go deeper!

What kind of setup were you running?
sp33d said:
I use to be into saltwater/reef tanks....it just got to be to much $$$ to maintain etc...
I would love to go diving in Australia!
Shorerider said:
G'day Islander,
I have been an avid Spearfisher and Freediver for the past six years. I have tried Scuba, but found it all too noisy and cumbersome when compared to Freediving.
I've had some very memorable dives over the years and hopefully many more to come. If I had to pick my best dive, it would have to be earlier this year while I was diving for Scallops (which is quite a chore, but worth it).
I was on the bottom in about six meters (20ft) of water looking for Scallops when I looked out in front of me and saw two Bottle nosed Dolphins. They were stationary and about five meters (16ft) away. One was hovering over the other with the suns rays through the water reflecting on their backs. They were looking directly me with their big eyes. After what seemed like minutes (most likely only seconds) I made my way back to the surface. They weren't bothered by my movements and continued to stay there and watch. When I got to the surface I looked around for my friend to call him over so he could enjoy the moment also. Once my head was out of the water both Dolphins breached the surface right in front of me to get some air and were never seen again.
To top off an already great day, later that same day I saw my first Blue Ringed Octopus.
Cheers......

I have also freedived the Great Barrier Reef, one hour off the coast of Port Douglas. What amazing fish life and such clear water!!!

The water here in southern OZ has nowhere near the visibility.

If you're ever going to dive OZ, I'd start at the Great Barrier Reef.

Cheers....

All I had was some live rock , a mantis, a pair of clown fish and of course an anenome....I also used for lighting was the 250w MH I now use for my overwintering of my dwarf meyer lemon tree now...

Edit. Also had a cleaner crew in there, you know shrimp etc...

I wish I could keep saltwater aquarium. I've heard that it's difficult to keep everything balanced.. I might set up a terrarium or something as a substitute, but I dunno.

I dive. Free dive and on SCUBA. Tech and then rebreather in the future...(hopefully!). Go get those certs Islander and you will soon forget all about tanks that hold a few gallons and a dozen tiny fish. If you're into the forums, as I would assume you are, checkout scubaboard. Incredible resource. Great people.

Lots of excellent diving stateside off the mainland too - east coast wrecks, sand tigers off NC (or SC, I forget which now), FL is pretty awesome, Cali is phenomenal and moving north on the west coast there is a pretty solid scene in the pacific north-west.

Diving is my greatest love next to my better half. Was diving down in Belize and the south west of Costa Rica this year and both were absolutely incredible.

Shorerider said:
I have also freedived the Great Barrier Reef, one hour off the coast of Port Douglas. What amazing fish life and such clear water!!!

The water here in southern OZ has nowhere near the visibility.

If you're ever going to dive OZ, I'd start at the Great Barrier Reef.

Cheers....

We're headed that way next year, won a trip and going to extend it a week to dive out of P.D. or Cairns. I hear that the GBR is ok (a bit beat up and fished out) but taking a liveaboard out to the ribbons / cod hole / and the coral sea is just out of this world. Mike Ball's boat and Spirit of Freedom. In the south it may be a bit lower on the vis but I've heard good things. And aren't there white shark expeditions out of Adelaide somewhere? Can't remember the name of the port offhand. Kinda holding out to see the whites in S Africa though. What boat were you on off Port Douglas? Have any photos/vids to share?

On my bucket list of diving places in no certain order...

Marshall Islands
Fiji
Australia
Cozumel
Kona
P R

Open to other suggestions as well , im mostly into SPS, LPS Corals and certain fish species such as Tangs, Butterflies, Anthias......

Raja Ampat. You need not look further.

Coz is awesome, spent 2.5wks there a while back, 4dives/day and never got bored. The walls are epically huge.

My #1 most wanted trip is to the Galapagos, bar none.

Went out on Quicksilver for the main reason that it has a big pontoon platform that it docks on out at the reef. When you have a wife and three kids with less than adequate sea legs, the platform is invaluable. They do snorkeling and scuba and provided a great lunch. Saw giant clams, Giant Trevally (at arms reach) and Hump head Wrasse to name a few. I would recommend them. No pics unfortunately, I didn't have a waterproof camera at the time. When it is stinger season (box jellyfish season) you will have to wear a stinger suit. It is a lycra body suit to protect you against box jellyfish stings. Maybe plan your trip outside the season if this bothers you. Keep an eye on the forecast as soon as you get there and pick the best day.

I think Port Douglas is nicer than Cairns, but Cairns does have an aquarium and tree top walk to visit. All easy day trips from PD though.

Haven't dived outside of southern OZ unfortunately, but a trip to Fiji is on the cards. My bucket list dive spot is Palau. Diving the Galapagos sounds interesting....

Cheers.....

Back