• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

2nd year growing peppers in Vegas.

After weeks of my plants suffering through intense heat in Vegas (95 degrees plus for more then 6 hours a day) I decided to move them to a shady spot about a month ago.  There they get a few hours of filtered sunlight in the morning and I've been fertilizing with liquid Bonnie Plant and Herb food (8-4-4) about three times a month. Since the move, they have been growing good and look great.  I don't expect to see any pods until the fall since the heat is still so intense.  I'm fine with this but my question is do you think that I should switch to a 4-6-3 or something similar when the temps start to drop between 80 and 90 degrees in order to promote flower production? Thanks for any suggestions.  

Dave2000 said:
Yes, switch to something with lower N and higher P then, or you could even start alternating between the two now.
Agreed. I'd start try to bud them now, but that's just me. We have a similarly hot summer here in Miami, and I get pods year-round. Partial sunlight, as mcraighead has figured out, seems to be key.

Slizarus said:
Hm, this just cements my book learning, in high heat/intense sun, they are more vigorous under shade (cloth)
I notice that my plants have bursts of growth on the shady days ...that might be just me though ..

Wicked Mike said:
Agreed. I'd start try to bud them now, but that's just me. We have a similarly hot summer here in Miami, and I get pods year-round. Partial sunlight, as mcraighead has figured out, seems to be key.
How do you make peppers bud? Never heard of that

There's a big greenhouse grower here who keeps his under shadecloth in direct sun year round. He has ridiculous plants.

I will do an experiment with a couple left in the sun once I have drip irrigation established. I'll post a thread later in the year, it's a curious subject to me. Too much sun for sun lovers. We all know they don't love the high heat, but sun intensity isn't checked.

Back