• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Poop... Yeah this is happening!

UPDATE: Expirement Abandoned! Just dont do it. Let my failed atemt be a mistake for you to learn from.

Ok guys, I am about to embark on a crappy journey. The Goal is to convert dog waste in to compost in a way that will kill off harmfull pathogens
and produce a final product that will be as good as verimicompost.

I have been researching a little and plan on researching a lot more on the subject. So How am I going to do this?

Its going to be atleast 2 steps:

1. I will use Rid-X (much like a septic system) to heat the manure to 131F for 30-60 days
  2. And then run it through a vermicompost pile.
The point of the Rid-x is to break down the poo first and then let the worms do the rest.

Here is some info on Rid-X
http://www.rid-x.com/faq.shtml

RID-X® Septic Tank System Treatment contains billions of 100% natural active bacteria and enzymes to break down household waste. By adding RID-X®, you restore the delicate balance of beneficial bacterial and enzymes needed to help keep your system operating at full efficiency. Each box and bottle of RID-X® contains the following ingredients scientifically proven to break down household waste:
  • Cellulase breaks down toilet paper, vegetable matter and some foods
  • Lipase breaks down fats, oils and grease
  • Protease breaks down proteins
  • Amylase breaks down starches

I understand that pathogens are pesent in dog waste.
I may see if I can get some college studens to analyze it or something for free.

So apperently this method can be used to acheve A1 Certified Compost. This means 100% pathogen free according to the EPA.

This is all hypotetical DO NOT TRY THIS WITHOUT RESEARCH! I will not be trying this on Edible plants.... YET

However, this could be an EASY way to convert dog waste in aproximately 4-6 months.

Why? I have a lot of it in buckets that are going to the dump every few months. If I can convert it in to a viable resource, why not?

Buzz said:
Your bring poo to the dump..... hehehehe.... the dump.

Sorry. Had to.

Best of luck!

I expect all kinds of crappy puns on this one ;)

I shit you not, I saw rid-x at the dollor store the other day. The one thing I'm worried about is the worms compatability with the rid-x microbes.
I am going to make a test bucket with a handfull of Reds and a spoon full of Rid-x.

Seriously, I don't see why it wouldn't work. The heat should kill off the nasties, and leave nothing but usable, healthy waste for compost. As long as you don't feed your dog healthy doses of red meat, I don't see why not. Of course, I have done exactly ZERO research in this....

interesting idea.   I'd be willing to co-witness on this one.  I have a dual tumbler set up with one side empty and 1 lab and 1 bullmastiff so definitely equipped for the study.

Per usual, your greatest risks are encysted parasites. Some of which, communicated through dogs, can live practically anywhere in your body including around your brain.

My bio Teacher made sure we knew all about the parasites that are why people tell you not to let your dogs kiss you.

I guess I should Look up what temperature the cysts can survive.

Otherwise, for non edible plants, it sounds good.

And who knows? Maybe the enzymes eat the cysts
Oh, and I want to mention, a better composter for eating shit is black soldier fly larva.

Interesting.

You're an expert at compost Cayennemist, so maybe I shouldn't be asking, but how do you plan on maintaining an even temperature throughout the whole heap?
Think that would be a high priority since we're worried about pathogens in this case.

Slizarus said:
Per usual, your greatest risks are encysted parasites. Some of which, communicated through dogs, can live practically anywhere in your body including around your brain.

My bio Teacher made sure we knew all about the parasites that are why people tell you not to let your dogs kiss you.

I guess I should Look up what temperature the cysts can survive.

Otherwise, for non edible plants, it sounds good.

And who knows? Maybe the enzymes eat the cysts
Oh, and I want to mention, a better composter for eating shit is black soldier fly larva.
"The Goal is to convert dog waste in to compost in a way that will kill off harmfull pathogens
and produce a final product that will be as good as verimicompost."

I thought about BSF, those guys are FAST! but they dont like cold winters. They are going to be a different project one of these days. I have a bearded dragon, and the larva would be good food for him.

plaisir8 said:
Interesting.

You're an expert at compost Cayennemist, so maybe I shouldn't be asking, but how do you plan on maintaining an even temperature throughout the whole heap?
Think that would be a high priority since we're worried about pathogens in this case.
No heap, sealed buckets!

1. Fill bucket about halway full of water, then the rest of the way with poo
  2. Ad Rid-X
  3. Put a lid on it
  4. Let sit in the sun for 30-60 days
From what I have read, this will make a digested slurry. I can then mix it with leaf matter and vericompost it for another 30-60 days.

I know that's the goal, I was just highlighting what I think will be the greatest roadblock. The Bacteria is pretty fragile, spores a bit more tough, and cysts are nigh impregnable.

Honestly, I'm looking forward to your results :) This question is definitely one I think about a lot.

The biggest upside is even if it can only be used for inedibles, if it works well, you could start a business and charge ppl to dispose of their dog shit, then turn around and sell it for as fertilizer for shrubs and trees and such. Of course then you'd only have to live in fear of the inevitable question at parties "what business are you in?" ..........,,,,

partner with the guys who clean up dog crap in peoples yards to get free supplies.  Nasty delivery but free.....   Of course at my house we call that the yard guy and his mower but there are poop franchises so someone is doing it

Cayennemist said:
  1. Fill bucket about halway full of water, then the rest of the way with poo
  2. Ad Rid-X
  3. Put a lid on it
  4. Let sit in the sun for 30-60 days
From what I have read, this will make a digested slurry. I can then mix it with leaf matter and vericompost it for another 30-60 days.
A bucket full of digested slurry. You know, I'm the one who made you explain it in detail...but it doesn't sound that appetizing. lol
Hope to see the results in a few months time--and I hope it looks pretty!

Back