• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

over did a good thing

HI

I'm a hobby sauce maker and  last season I put about 15 reapers a couple cloves of garlic in salt and vinegar (1/2C) and let it sit for a couple months room temp then into the fridge. Yesterday I cracked it open to make a sauce. To it I added, water, tomato paste, half an onion (sauted  in oil), 1 T molasses, allspice and ginger. I wanted to make a savory sauce with no sweetener. I cooked it for about half an hour.

Well it cooked up nicely, blended once cooled and I tasted it and it so freaking hot I can barely taste anything but an almost "bitter" burn. So I caved and added 2 Tablespoon of maple syrup to adjust which helped a little but was still ridiculously hot.

I'm looking for advise please. Is it as simple as adding a 28oz tomatoes and or some carrots as to stretch/dilute the batch re taste and keep adjusting? Any ideas are appreciated.
Thanks.

Greg

Valleyman said:
HI

I'm a hobby sauce maker and  last season I put about 15 reapers

Well.... there it is...

I'm not sure what the right amount of reapers would be, but I'm sure it's WAY less than 15! Maybe if you took that base, and mixed it with a few pounds of Jimmy Nardello sweets to balance it out.... dilute, adjust, re-taste until it gets right. You're going to need a much bigger pot.

The bitter and insane heat just sounds like chinense overdose to me. I've seen a lot of folks say they thing the reaper can be a little too "perfumey"

Ocho Cinco said:
Make another batch of sauce minus the heat and then combine the two. Repeat if necessary. 
Yes or maybe a couple of batches and add other peppers with less heat and more flavor. Citrus is also a nice balance with the heat and flavor of the sauce.

Great suggestions!!!!!
I like all three suggestions.

I was thinking citrus but then I was thinking maybe a clash with the Maple flavor. Not that I can taste it yet!

I also got my first one eye blinding for the 2014 sauce season. Friggin blind for ten minutes until I flushed it out with the hose!

My wife and kids think I should be committed. They just don't understand. 

I'd add it all to a cooking pot and heat it up. Then put in some capsicum/bell peppers. Once the capsicum has softened buzz with a blender and taste. Repeat until you're satisfied. This should retain most of the original taste and dilute the heat. Tweak the other ingredients if necessary.

If you plan to bottle and store you may have to add citrus or vinegar if the ph isn't correct.

You'll have to boil the sauce for 20-30 minutes to re-sterilize the sauce.

Cheers.....

Back to the lab I went and modified my reaper sauce. Based on your advise (modified slightly) I added 1.5 lbs of red.yellow. orange bell peppers,  1C of cider vinegar, 3T orange marmalade, Soy Sauce, Brown Sugar and a little cinnamon.

Still not there but much much tastier and tolerable. Still has a slight chinense bitterness so I'm not sure if I'm going to add salt or vinegar or sugar.

Any advise on how to keep taste testing/adjusting reaper sauce in one sitting?  After 3 or 4 tastes (very small tastes I might ad) my lips. throat, right down to the gut has a lasting burn that renders me useless for a spell!

Thank you for the advise

Back