• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Ghost Peppers

Just how many different varieties are there of this wonderful pepper?  I have only tried the OG red, but I am now learning that there are several varieties out there!

A bunch! The ones that I've grown over the last couple years include the original red Bhut as well as Chocolate Bhut, Yellow Bhut, Bhut Indian Carbon, Purple Bhut, Orange Bhut, Peach Bhut & White Bhut. I'm sure there are others out there, hopefully others will chime in.

I have all the ones Texashotpeppers has! I've also seen a caramel one (trying to get my hands on it)
I have the bih Jolokia too even though I have no idea what it is lol

the bhuts:                                                          similar cultivars: bih jolokia
red                                                                                               naga jolokia( not the PC-1 frutescens)
yellow                                                                                           rajah mirch
caramel                                                                                        naga morich
cappuchino                                                                                  dorsett Naga
white                                                                                            Black Naga
purple                                                                                          bombay morich
black(pimento de neyde x purple bhut)                                        King naga
peach                                                                                           yellow naga
chocolate                                                                                      chocolate naga
Assam
Indian carbon
Mustard
smooth skin
Im sure ive left some out but those are the ones i can think of off the top of me head, cheers!

oh right the naga viper

Has anyone tried BJ Rust?
It's a cross between BJ Chocolate and 7 Pot Yellow.

What does it taste like - more like BJ or like 7 Pot?
Is it juicy, floral, earthy, bitter, etc.?

BOC -- the " Bhut Orange Copenhagen", from Hippy Seed Co. I had to re-google this, but i read about it a month ago. There may be other sources for seed in the US.
Sounds like a distinctly different variety in appearance and flavor, according to the catalogue description.

When I asked about mine, the common response was bhut scorpion. Are there more like this? Hope so, ghost scorpion sounds wicked. Not to mention that's what I've been calling it ever since and I don't want to sound like an asshole making things up lol

chile_freak said:
the bhuts:                                                          similar cultivars: bih jolokia
red                                                                                               naga jolokia( not the PC-1 frutescens)
yellow                                                                                           rajah mirch
caramel                                                                                        naga morich
cappuchino                                                                                  dorsett Naga
white                                                                                            Black Naga
purple                                                                                          bombay morich
black(pimento de neyde x purple bhut)                                        King naga
peach                                                                                           yellow naga
chocolate                                                                                      chocolate naga
Assam
Indian carbon
Mustard
smooth skin
Im sure ive left some out but those are the ones i can think of off the top of me head, cheers!

oh right the naga viper
Yeah man, droppin' the ghost knowledge, right-on!

mikeg said:
BOC -- the " Bhut Orange Copenhagen", from Hippy Seed Co. I had to re-google this, but i read about it a month ago. There may be other sources for seed in the US.
Sounds like a distinctly different variety in appearance and flavor, according to the catalogue description.

I grew the BOC last year—To my taste, it has one of the best flavors of any super hot—an exotic tropical, "sunshiny" fruitiness, rather than the winey, estery character of the standard Bhut/Naga types (which is also wonderful). I strongly recommend the BOC  :P

BOC is hot as a mofo too, much hotter than I expected compared to other bhuts i've had. First batch of sauce I made with it was too hot to consume, or even look at wrong. 

Back