• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pics First season pics

I thought I would post a few pics and see what you guys thought. I potted a few plants and did the rest in the ground. I['m sure by next year I will raise the ones on the ground like a lot of the other members have.

From left to right, Jumbo Jalapeno, Caribbean Red, Habenero in front, and a Mexican Bell.

100_1362.jpg

These are more Habs and Jalapenos with a few tomatoes on the end for Pico De Galo. I thought I would see how all of this went before getting to carried away.

100_1364.jpg

Its been a lot of fun so far, cant wait to scarf some of them down. I'll post more pics in here later in the season. :)

Hey Calor are you gettin all of this rain too? Its terrible! Plants look wonderful, wish all of my carr. reds had made it.....come to think of it, I wish at least one had made it.

gardenkiller said:
Hey Calor are you gettin all of this rain too? Its terrible! Plants look wonderful, wish all of my carr. reds had made it.....come to think of it, I wish at least one had made it.

Yeah, we have been getting it the last two days on and off between sunshine. Really no high winds, just heavy rain and lightning. From what I have seen on radar and read, we havent had near what you guys in Iowa have had.

Most of the rain has been coming over night which seems to help my in ground plants.

I did notice a few ants on my in ground plants last night, so I dusted around 'em.

A little update a week later, guys are growing like weeds! The old rain at night and sunshine at day has been a good thing. I transplanted the Jumbo Jalapeno and the Mexi-Bell plant because they were out growing the smaller pots.

100_1366.jpg

AlabamaJack said:
geez CaLoR...these things have almost doubled in size...

The Caribbean Red did it almost over night I swear, we had a steady rain all night, sunshine the next day and bam, he went crazy!

Pepperfreak said:
WOW...Whatever your feeding them, please share...Please...:) They really do look awesome!

I have given them two weekly doses of MiracleGro, and watered them like everyone on here says, not too much, just when they get close to wilting.

CaLoR said:
I have given them two weekly doses of MiracleGro, and watered them like everyone on here says, not too much, just when they get close to wilting.

AAAAhhhhhhhhhhh.........He said a Bad word ! ! ! (MiracleGrow).......

slyone1000 said:
AAAAhhhhhhhhhhh.........He said a Bad word ! ! ! (MiracleGrow).......

Well....Since Pam isn't here to chastise me...:P I also use Miracle Grow and I say if it works use it. But just make sure that you are using the more balance Miracle Grow like the Tomato Fert...

I know...I know...but it's not OMRI certified...I still think it will be okay. Keep up the good work Calor! ;)

Actually MG isn't bad at the plants early stages since it's high in nitrogen but you're going to want to switch to something that promotes blooms once the first flowers show.
that being said, I do recommend organic fertilizers overall. I think you get better results from organic. (with the exception of hydro of course)

Thats the kind I used, the Tomato/veggie version. Is it not a good idea to use it after the blooms start to drop? If so, what is a good kind?

from what I have learned, you want to use a fert that is higher in nitrogen during the vegetative stage, then when they start to bloom, switch to a higher phosphorus content....i.e. vegetative...2X-X-2X, bloom...X-2X-2X....these ratios are approximate...

everyone has their own way...the botanicare products I use are...vegetative - 3-1.5-4, bloom - 1.5-4-5

gardenkiller said:
Looks like it filled up his pool. :cool:
Yer plants look great!
The ones in the ground will doo swell too.
Let us know how it's going.
I hope i get at least 50 of my plants in the ground and 50 in pots this year, even if i have to grow them somewhere else/.
I'm spacially challenged. (not much space except between my ears)

Our pool was so bad when we opened it, it had tree frogs. :lol:

Its clear as a bell now.....and full.

My in ground plants are doing pretty good, they take more watering, and I've had to fight off ants, but they are growing good.

Back