• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

cooking Cookin' in the sauce lab today!

I set up shop outside today and cooked down two large batches of my 'taco sauce.'
First batch was mostly Fresno peppers, with HHWax, red savina, and just a few Naga and Reapers. Added one yellow onion, 5 tbs minced garlic, 1 bunch of cilantro, 5 tbs salt, and covered with vinegar. About 175 peppers total in the sauce. It filled 12 mason jars and was canned. Heat at about 7 of 10 (for the average person), more like 4 of 10 for most of us. I named it Taco Sauce #7.

Second batch was the same 'taco sauce' recipe - but the only peppers in it were Reapers and Naga, still to the tune of about 175! This one is off the charts in heat!! I tried a small bit before canning it and ended up sweating perfusely and had the worst stomach cramps ever for about 30 minutes. I named this one Taco Sauce #666. Still made a full batch of 12 mason jars with this one as well :D

All ingredients were chopped and put in a large stock pot and boiled for 15 min. Then blended. Next added to sanitized mason jars. All were then hot water bath canned for 18 min.

The lab ..
2iwaf78.jpg

Taco sauce #7 stock pot
141hxqh.jpg

The mass load of reapers and nagas for taco sauce #666 before other goodies
2ptoxo1.jpg

Taco sauce #6 before the boil
2npxd0.jpg

A few stragglers getting canned
16m0eud.jpg

And the final product, the far 12 are #7, the near 12 are #666
eugfeu.jpg

TrueNorthReptiles said:
Suh-weet! Looks like ya made enough for all of us too. I claim the out of focus jar in the far back of the #666. ;)
At first I was thinking that finally making my sauces for the year would be a good thing - so my fiancé would stop complaint about how much room I take up in the chest freezer with frozen peppers... But now I realize that I'll have a new problem, cabinet space! This was literally a drop in the pond as far as pepper usage.

...I'm actually a bit scared for when I crack the first can of #666 after about a month of mellowing. It was fierce right out of the gate, and will probably be a creeping fiery death after it all melds properly :D (I made this one for my numerous friends who say they love REALLY hot stuff - I plan on shutting them down rather quickly ;) )
afr0n0me said:
holly mother of god .... that looks delicious !
Thanks! In T-Minus 30 days... It's TACO NIGHT!!

Great job,you got your steps down to an art.The jars have good color.And yes, nothing better then shutting up a bunch of friends who all swear they killed Bigfoot. :dance:  :dance:

Back