• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

WA state wildfires news- Another fire today Twisp/Winthrop 01Aug14

salsalady

Business Member
Hi All-
This is a just a quick update of what's going on in Washington state.

We and Scovie and CJ are OK, homes OK.  Others are not so lucky.  Scovie and CJ's house has not been in danger.  Our home on Texas Creek was not in immediate danger, the fires were close but the fire crews did a wonderful job. 

Power went out on July 17th.  Fires have burned major transmition lines into the Methow Valley and also to Pateros down valley.  There is a conservative estimate that power may be back into the valley in t-3 weeks.  Up to a month in some areas. 

Current estimate is the fire is 340,000 acres, 120+ structures have burned...unknown how many power poles and miles of lines have been destroyed. 

Phones are out, ATT cell tower burned so ATT customers are out.  Verizon tower survived.  Today, Ev and I drove 50 miles to Omak to get our phones switched to Verizon and also get on the internet at McDonald's and do a quick post here.  Limited I-net access, but will post as I can.  If you post, please understand there probably won't be an immediate reply. 

We both have generators for water and refers, and lots of alternative cookers (smokers grills etc).  Hunkered down for the long haul. 

Under the smoke-filled skies,
salsalady

the sic house hold has included yall in our thoughts and prayers.  stay safe yall.

i asked scovie earlier the very important question and i will ask you.

yall o.k. on the booze????

edit- if anyone wants to help, donations to the Apple Valley chapter of the Red Cross will go to help those families devastated by the fires.  Many families have lost everything, literally running out of the house with the clothes on their backs.

Siccy :lol:  Yea...we good on da booze!  Corner store has a generator, gas, ice, beer n wine....at least THAT issue is covered! 

Gotta Go!

Son of a bitch!

Thank you all so much for your thoughts and prayers. 8 of our friends (that I know of right now) their homes are gone. One just signed papers on a new house and were going to be moving this week. All of their antique furniture is gone. Countless more folks in the same boat. I got a couple generators, and we finally got the phone lines up and running. I was shocked to see the wi-fi kick on. I am having a really hard time with survivor's guilt. So much devastation everywhere. Litterally ½ the valley is gone. The fire burnt mostly on the East side except down by Salsa Lady where it jumped the river and the highway. I am guessing all of the homes up Libby creek are gone too but we haven't heard. The town of Pateros is mostly gone, and Brewster too. 330,00 acres was the last I heard but no one really knows for sure. It was the recipe for the "perfect storm" 105º F, 8-15% Humidity, and 25 mile an hour winds.

I took a mess of pictures that I will have to sort thru but here is one I was actually loading when we lost power on Thursday. It will be 3-4 weeks before the power lines get rebuilt. Actually looking at this picture taken the first day, this is nothing. I will post more later.

Thank you all so much for your thought. It means a lot.

View attachment 12839

Thanks Dash. It was terrifying. The conditions combined with no water creates a very stressful situation to say the least.
3 lightning strikes started 3 seperate fires that eventually merged into one giant bitch. 'The Carlton Complex'.

Here are a couple more pics taken Friday evening. all taken from my yard... I wasn't leaving my house.

View attachment 12842

View attachment 12841

View attachment 12840

View attachment 12843

The hill below the plume is now black and some homes are gone.

Glad everyone is ok.  Salsalady is it just the Red Cross out that way?  Is there a church or local organization that is accepting donations?

SL doesn't have phone or internet yet. It is MUCH worse down her way.
But yeah, Red Cross, and tons of private donations from around the state are coming.
Right now mostly what we need are new power poles. LOL

Back