• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

remove lower leaves and branch?

Hi, i see that its ok to remove the lower leaves, but should i remove the lower branch to?

2014-07-21%2014.30.22%20%28Medium%29.jpg

I usually do. I prune my pepper plants to a single stem for about 6"-8" to improve air circulation inside the plant. It also helps keep the leaves and fruit away from the ground so rainsplash is less likely to land on them. 
     Some people disagree with this approach and even top their plants to force the plant to branch low on the stem. The idea being that the plant will grow more branches and thus produce more fruit. I don't think this is necessary, though. My plants branch out like little acacia trees and are loaded with pods right now!

I have some tobasco plants that had to be heavily trimmed early in their life due to thrip damage. They rebounded into very bushy and prolific shrubs. I was looking at them the other day and noticed all the branches down low. I almost couldn't tell which was the main branch there were so many. If I trimmed them there wouldn't be much left of the plant. :P

So yeah, the branches don't seem to hurt anything, but I do clip all leaves touching the soil.

pwb said:
Hi, i see that its ok to remove the lower leaves, but should i remove the lower branch to?

2014-07-21%2014.30.22%20%28Medium%29.jpg

Seeing that you are in Norway, and you wont get the kind of growing season that most of the growers in the US do, i'd say leave it if you want any hope of a decent harvest.

Personally speaking i don't prune lower branches.

My response is a resounding NO. That lower tiny branch will eventually turn into a massively productive part of you plant if left to its own devices. Opinions will vary, but that's mine.

As below; notice the two stragglers that have come out on the left and right side of the main stem... They started as wimpy little branches and are now becoming quite the added producers. I have some plants with 4 or 5 of these which add NUMEROUS pods to the plant. I say let em grow, it all adds to the production.
t0s08p.jpg

Frankie Ruiz said:
Now toba3 branchessco is just a plant that ends up being bushy no matter what. I have a tobasco and it put out so many branches I'm lovin it.
I have a habanero that's nearly the same way. There are only three branches, but it's nearly four feet in diameter and only a foot tall. Again not much in the way of a main stem, but with nearly 100 pods I'm not complaining. :P

mecdave said:
I have a habanero that's nearly the same way. There are only three branches, but it's nearly four feet in diameter and only a foot tall. Again not much in the way of a main stem, but with nearly 100 pods I'm not complaining. :P
I have a habanero that's doing the same lol. About 2 feet tall and 2 1/2 feet wide. Not as many peppers on it as yours but I'm definitely not complaining!

Definetly varying opinions ....I personally prune them off...and like dash does anything that doesn't get light or just bunching up I give a nice pruning...mileage will vary and either way isn't wrong, it's all preference ...

wow the guys on THP have some huge plants. I feel like I'm in the land of the GIANTS and I'm a dwarf with my pepper plants. The only pepper plant that has any size in my garden in my Pablano which is about 3 feet tall. You guys grow pepper trees and I grow pepper plants lol.

SavinaRed said:
wow the guys on THP have some huge plants. I feel like I'm in the land of the GIANTS and I'm a dwarf with my pepper plants. The only pepper plant that has any size in my garden in my Pablano which is about 3 feet tall. You guys grow pepper trees and I grow pepper plants lol.
Seriously!  I get inspired to know that the plants are capable of that type of growth and production and also get bummed that my skills are no where near that level.  Trying to get there though.

I keep the branches and let the leaves die on their own. I have a caramel bih jolokia about 4x4 feet wide with lower branches reaching 3 feet high.

Edit: tons of pods on the lower part of the branches too. I have to prop it up so they don't touch the ground.

Edit again:

Here is pic of the lower branch (not the best pic showing this):

14711820634_b28d917209.jpg

I only pull off yellow leaves and move dead ones out of the way. More so because it's time consuming. As you can see no diseases for leaving lower branches and leaves. I actually can't reach under this guy because it's too bushy and low, but I like to remove dead and yellow leaves. That's the way I grow though, bushy and low.

ok, why does some leaves turn yellow? On two of my plants some leaves turn yellow and its easy to remove them. But why?
2014-07-22%2010.31.06%20%28Medium%29.jpg

I'm with Dash,and only to the fork,I did not top.My water wand would be breaking the lowers off as I water at the root base.I have let them grow out last year on a few plants.Had to tie them up and watch closely because once they had pods they were on the ground.It's up to each grower how to trim lower leaves and branches.No wrong answers.Good points both ways.

Pull the leaves if you want, but leave the branches.  You will be amazed at how they outgrow the canopy if you have the right conditions.  Seriously, leave them be.

Look at how big those lower branches become compared to the main stalk.

Some of my plants are shrubs, like the previously mentioned tobascos and habaneros, and some are trees, like my poblanos. The shrubs have far less water usage and wilting problems in this Texas heat, likely due to shading the containers thus keeping them cooler. That alone is reason enough for me not to trim... other than to encourage shrubbery.

On the flip side, I could imagine someone living in say the Pacific NW would want to trim to ensure branches and leaves don't make contact with near constantly wet ground. I don't know this as fact, just a possible example why one would find trimming a better solution for them.

As they say... YMMV

Back