• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

First Atempt at a Jerk Hot Sauce

I love jerk and decided to have a go at a jerk style hot sauce.  I read a bunch of recipies online and just grabbed the ingredients I liked.  Here's the spread:

Untitled by physics202, on Flickr

1 Fresno
3 O. Habs X Scotch Bonnet
3 green onions
3 cloves of garlic
1 small piece of ginger
3 tbs brown sugar
.5 tbs black pepper
.5 tbs salt
1 tbs tyme
1 tsp all spice
1 tbs soy sauce
1 tbs lime juice
.5 cup apple cider vinigar
1 cup water

Cooked the solids in a dash of veg oil, then threw everything in the blender.  I didn't completely liquify everything for this sauce.  Once blended, it went back into the saucepan for a 20min boil.

Bottled

and the obligatory taste test with some grilled wings.  These were tossed in a mix of the sauce and butter.

I really like the sauce.  I think I need to cut back the soy sauce a little bit, but besides that, I'm not sure what I'd change.

Physics202 said:
I love jerk and decided to have a go at a jerk style hot sauce.  I read a bunch of recipies online and just grabbed the ingredients I liked.  Here's the spread:

1 Fresno
3 O. Habs X Scotch Bonnet
3 green onions
3 cloves of garlic
1 small piece of ginger
3 tbs brown sugar
.5 tbs black pepper
.5 tbs salt
1 tbs tyme
1 tsp all spice
1 tbs soy sauce
1 tbs lime juice
.5 cup apple cider vinigar
1 cup water

Cooked the solids in a dash of veg oil, then threw everything in the blender.  I didn't completely liquify everything for this sauce.  Once blended, it went back into the saucepan for a 20min boil.

Bottled

and the obligatory taste test with some grilled wings.  These were tossed in a mix of the sauce and butter.

I really like the sauce.  I think I need to cut back the soy sauce a little bit, but besides that, I'm not sure what I'd change.
I like it and may give this a try. Did you cook the wings the entire time with the jerk sauce or just towards the end ?

SavinaRed said:
I like it and may give this a try. Did you cook the wings the entire time with the jerk sauce or just towards the end ?

I cooked the wings all the way through without any sauce.  They did however have a light sprinkle of salt, pepper and garlic on them.  Once they were done cooking, I melted a bit of butter, combined the sauce with it, then rolled the wings around in the sauce/butter.  These were easily in my top 5 wings.

Also, today I saute'ed up some turkey with the sauce, then put it in a tortilla with some lettuce, tomato, cheese, and ranch for a killer wrap.

Rherman1 said:
how long does this last in the fridge?
The PH was around 3.5 I believe, so it should last quite a while.  I'm pretty new to hot sauce making so I don't know specifically how long it would last with that sort of acidity.  I'd bet it'd last a couple months at least.
Jamison said:
Looks delicious! I love Jerk sauce! Gonna make some this week with your recipe.
Did you whip up a batch?  If so, where there any flavors you thought too strong?

hot stuff said:
Did you marinate the meat in it overnight? I find it works best to marinate it for at least 18-24 hours.
I've read some studies about marinades, looking at if the sauce actually soaks into the meat or not, and it usually does not.  Now there are stipulations.  Some seafood actually allows sauce to soak into the meat.  If you puncture or slice the meat, that allows more surface area for the sauce to grab ahold of.   And there's always injections.  Now marinades do often work as a brine if you let the soak for a period of time, which will affect your moisture and what not, but the sauce does not actually pass through into the meat itself. 

I like to use dry rubs, then once my meat is cooked or almost done cooking, I apply the sauce.  Before I was hooked on this pepper forum, I was into this BBQ forum and learned a lot over there.  I'll try to dig up the study that I found on marinades. 
Found it!
A very cool study on marinades and sauces.
http://amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/zen_of_marinades.html

Nice article but note this paragraph: Marinades, unless they are heavy with salt, in which case they more properly are called brines, do not penetrate meats very far, rarely more than 1/8", even after many hours of soaking. Especially in the cold fridge where molecules are sluggish.

Do we really to need to penetrate more than 1/8" to get the flavor we want to be attached to the meat? Probably not. But it does penetrate.

Back