• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Can I grow peppers in a small greenhouse over the winter?

So I just now started growing chilies this year and I absolutely love it. I love geeking out over my pepper garden, seed trading, etc. that's why I love this forum. I want to become a hardcore grower and grow all throughout the year.

All of my plants are in containers on my back deck. They get plenty of sun throughout the day. I live in zone 7, (Maryland), and october is probably the absolute maximum month I have to grow. From May to mid October is my growing season. If I were to build a cheap greenhouse out of PVC pipe and clear plastic vinyl, say about 5ftx5ftx5ft, granted that temps don't get below 60 F, would this be enough to grow hot peppers throughout the whole year? I'm not just talking about keeping the plants alive, but actually producing in the winter.

The amount of daylight might affect production.. But as long as temps don't get to low you're good. If temps get really low in the winter I would suggest getting a small heater for the greenhouse

The amount of daylight they receive should be optimal to cover light and heat needs for the plants. The greenhouse should really stay about 20 degrees warmer than outside temps. I'd say thats perfect for growing. Thank god I don't live in canada or anywhere too far north where temps get below 0.

I did similar this past winter and had good results. Didn't get any pods at all, and I used a small space heater for when it got too cold. Just be aware that in full sun without ventilation the temps can get pretty high very easily.

Back