• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Dealing with blossom end rot

I just noticed blossom end rot on my peach ghost scorpions and red ghost scorpions. Most of my other varieties are looking ok. I can't believe there is a lack of calcium because they all got tons of FF bonemeal at transplant. We had a stretch of unseasonably cool and wet weather right before this happened, maybe this is the issue and they will grow out of it. Not sure if I should take action, or leave it alone. 

lack of calcium, inablitity to absorb calcium, and overwatering are most mentioned causes. 

Maybe they were just too wet for a week or so? maybe mix some more bonemeal/calmag in your next fertilization or foliar feed some? different plants absorb / use nutrients in different quantities so maybe these just are the beginning..

I had a few bells and anaheims do that during our cold spell...  None of my tomatoes have though and haven't had any do it since.  Dunno.

Excess nitrogen can cause calcium lockout - no matter how much calcium is in the soil the plant won't be able to uptake it. Rain alone can cause this, but so can over-using other ferts. If you have a way to eliminate nitrogen for a while, that may well fix the problem.

geeme said:
Excess nitrogen can cause calcium lockout - no matter how much calcium is in the soil the plant won't be able to uptake it. Rain alone can cause this, but so can over-using other ferts. If you have a way to eliminate nitrogen for a while, that may well fix the problem.

That's interesting. I haven't fertilized since early June, soon after they were transplanted. I mixed a 1/4 cup of bonemeal in the hole with some horse manure, then fertilized again a week later with Jacks 20-20-20. Since then nothing, but I will definitely avoid fertilizing more if it could make the problem worse. 

Mallory said:
wet weather right before this happened, maybe this is the issue and they will grow out of it. Not sure if I should take action, or leave it alone. 

This.  Too much water.  Don't stop giving them a balanced fertilizer and calcium... some of what was there has washed away.

My 2 cents is that bone meal is slow acting so although you added some when you transplanted, the reality is that it may not be readily available to the plants just yet. A quick search on the net shows that it can take from a few months to half a year before it becomes available. In the latter case, people recommend mixing it into the soil in the fall. Another consideration is that you have lock out. Calcium and Magnesium work together. If the bone meal has broken down to a point where it is useable, from what I've seen the ratio of calcium to magnesium can range from 2:1 to as high as 4:1 for cal to mag. Overloading on one will lock out the other.

In any event, the super hots tend to use more calcium than the mild to medium hot peppers. You are on the right track in adding a bit of extra calcium. If it were me, I'd pickup some CalMag+ from the hydro store for about $10-15 and see how it worked. It provides a quick source of readily available calcium and magnesium while you wait for the bone meal to break down. Just my $.02 though.

Neil

Back