• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

casein powder to help with burn?

I was doing some research as to why milk helps with the burn you get from peppers and it said that the casein in the milk helps to n[SIZE=medium]eutralize the capsaicin. That being said would casein powder that you get from a nutrition store have a stronger effect on stopping the burn if you were to mix it with milk? what about any other liquid? any thoughts would be great. thanks guys![/SIZE]

Casein is just protein, it isn`t anything more or less. It will not help with the burn if mixed with milk, but then I don`t believe that milk really helps, either. Maybe for 20 seconds, but not anything more. Believe me, I`ve tried. 

Capsaicin is oil-soluble, to an extent, and anything with high fat content will help a bit. Untimately, you are better off riding it out and increasing your tolerance. Sorry to be a buzz-kill. 

I've tried milk several times after a super, and it's always the same. The burn feels worse after milk for me, so it's a no go. The best remedy I've found came from advice from the boss on here. White Russians. Easily the best nullifier I've found.

@ Nigel I feel you on milk helping temporarily. To me anything after a ghost pepper is pretty hot. I was asking because I'm trying to brainstorm on a way to develop a solution for the masses. I have a bunch of friends who like hot stuff but can't handle it for to long and it gave me the idea to try to come up with something to help.

@Meathead. White Russians might be the best answer I've ever heard lol. Makes perfect sense and sounds great. I think I'm gonna make one and turn on the big lebowski. "I'm the dude man"

Yeah I don't understand the whole "what stops the burn" thing...why eat the pepper if stopping the burn is the worry, makes no sense to me...(not directed at you Jmishork, just saying)...

sp33d said:
Yeah I don't understand the whole "what stops the burn" thing...why eat the pepper if stopping the burn is the worry, makes no sense to me...(not directed at you Jmishork, just saying)...
Because you can't know if you can handle the burn for a particular pepper until you try it and know how hot it is..

Never ate an entire superhot but... that is the excitement isn't it?  You just do it.  It wont kill you.  Hopefully.

I ate a couple of whole ghost peppers and a whole Butch T when I first found out about super hots. I won't do that again! The mouth burn wasn't the worst part. It was the stomach and intestine burn that sucked. I still eat super hots on a daily basis but in small quantities.

I'm not even a fan of it but my vote is to use chocolate syrup!! or strawberry. Either something thick that has enough hold to physically remove the capsaicin sitting in your mouth but you'll still be reacting to what has been absorbed already. Either way, it's a bodily reaction to a chemical. you have to neutralize the chemical reaction in order to nullify the burn. 

Think about it. People who get pepper sprayed all they do it just wash it off the best they can. If there was a good remedy or solution to stop the effects, they would use it in hospitals or something.

To cool the heat eat something high in FAT. Whole milk, cottage cheese (4percent), cream, cheese. The fat molecules bond with the heat molecules and SOMEWHAT lower the burn effect. Think of the fats as the fire extinguisher behind the glass that say only break in case of emergency!! If you can't feel them, don't eat them... :-)

Back