• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Made My First Ever Habanero Jelly !

jelly2_zps777c1fe3.jpg
This recipe is from ALL RECIPES website and as judged by the reviews, it's a GOOD one.  Used my White Habaneros.  Grated carrots, diced red sweet peppers, apple cider,  liquid pectin,and sugar.

CANT STOP EATIN' IT....HIGHLY ADDICTIVE!  

Gotta get some cream cheese tonite.......and some pita chips... :onfire:  Backlighting makes it look like FIRE... :dance:  I'm Hooked !
jelly3_zps4f45d815.jpg

sudostahp said:
Nice! Use Peruvian White Habs? Or Great White Habs?
I used Peruvian.
Funny thing, the recipe called for 16 habaneros.   Really?   Habaneros are of various sizes.   One google I did stated 52 habaneros to a pound...another google 42 habaneros to a pound.    So on average, with the recipe calling for 16, I figured they were using @ 1/3 pound or @5.3 ounces  in the recipe...so I rounded down to 4 ounces of habs.    And it is hot enough...for now..LOL

After a couple of dolops on your favorite cracker....things start to heat up for sure.  Whoooooooohhhh!

Like I said, can't wait to try on some cream cheese...

Smob said:
Looks gorgeous!  I have to try and make this.
It''s really EZ Smob...simple as can be.  

Streamer said:
I used Peruvian.

Funny thing, the recipe called for 16 habaneros.   Really?   Habaneros are of various sizes.   One google I did stated 52 habaneros to a pound...another google 42 habaneros to a pound.    So on average, with the recipe calling for 16, I figured they were using @ 1/3 pound or @5.3 ounces  in the recipe...so I rounded down to 4 ounces of habs.    And it is hot enough...for now..LOL

After a couple of dolops on your favorite cracker....things start to heat up for sure.  Whoooooooohhhh!

Like I said, can't wait to try on some cream cheese...

It''s really EZ Smob...simple as can be.  
Can you post the recipe ? I've never made jelly/jam. Thanks! 

Streamer,

Congrates on the jelly,  it looks great.  And it is very addicting.  When you make a good one, you don't have a tendency to share it much.  The so-so batches get given away as gifts, but the winners stay home.

I make a few different kinds, and am so glad that my wife does not like them.  she says that it self toasts the bread!

bpwilly said:
Streamer,

Congrates on the jelly,  it looks great.  And it is very addicting.  When you make a good one, you don't have a tendency to share it much.  The so-so batches get given away as gifts, but the winners stay home.

I make a few different kinds, and am so glad that my wife does not like them.  she says that it self toasts the bread!

Hey bpwilly...What other kinds have ya done?

I got 7 pints out of the habanero recipe I posted.   Next batch I make will be cut down to about half that.   That way I can have more variety and not so much lying around..lol.(if that's possible?)..........my wife won't touch it although I persuaded her to taste just a tiny bit.   She said it was HOT...LOL.
Actually, I think the above recipe with using only 2 ounces of Habanero would be very nice.  But after making this 4 ounce batch :fireball:  I'm glad it's handy just in case 2 ounce batches got boring.    :mope:

Hey bpwilly...What other kinds have ya done?

I got 7 pints out of the habanero recipe I posted.   Next batch I make will be cut down to about half that.   That way I can have more variety and not so much lying around..lol.(if that's possible?)..........my wife won't touch it although I persuaded her to taste just a tiny bit.   She said it was HOT...LOL.
Actually, I think the above recipe with using only 2 ounces of Habanero would be very nice.  But after making this 4 ounce batch :fireball:  I'm glad it's handy just in case 2 ounce batches got boring.    :mope:

Here is a list off the top of my head (dusty search)

Habanero Gold  (Habs and apricots)
Fatalli and Pineapple
Black Congo and blackberries
Lemon Drops and lemons
Jalapeno

Out of these the Black Congo and the Fatalii Pineapple are my favorites

Back