• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Seedling Questions

I'm a few weeks in to starting plants to grow out over winter to put outside to produce next year, but I have a couple questions. 

I have read that peppers, like most plants, attempt to fill the container they are grown in with roots before they start to put a lot of energy into foliage production. I made the mistake of starting them in a tray with rather large cells. They have just begun to show true leaves.

Is it okay at this point to offer something to boost root production? If so, what can I give them?

If they have true leaves (2sets)=4leaves that is ,hit it with whatever it is you plan to feed them just dilute it down they should do fine

just feed them watered down fish/seaweed and you will be fine in a hurry. peppers work on root,vegetation and fruit at the same time so nothing to be worried about yet.

There is no such thing as starting them in cells too large.  The ideal grow medium is infinitely large so the roots extend outwards instead of concentrated in a small area.  If it is decent soil they probably don't need any supplements yet, just to grow a bit more to become sturdier so they better survive repotting into something larger.

Being patient when starting is the hard part.  The best thing to give them now is plenty of light to increase leaf to stem ratio, but not outside until they are hardened off.

Back