• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Bagged compost for Compost Tea/AACT

Has anyone used bagged compost for compost tea? I know lot people here compost there own stuff. I had to chuck my compost pile do to cats thinking it was cat box.

So have you guys had success doing this way?

So my choices are this 2.

I know Kellogg uses human waste in some of there other stuff. But on bag it says aged forest compost and barnyard manure.

http://www.kellogggarden.com/products?brand=gardeners&category=all#4

As this guys say no poop just food scraps.
http://ecoscraps.com/soil/

So this is my first time doing AACT bought used air pump. Bought couple air stones.

I`m going to do.
  • Compost?
  • worm casting
  • Fish emulsion
  • Lawn clipping
  • Liquid kelp
  • Have some more bloom don`t know if I`ll use it.
Any input would be greatly appreciated i`m trying this first to treat a black spot on my plants.

Trippa said:
With the vermicast you shouldn't need additional compost. I am no expert though ...
That`s what I kinda thought. But everyone talks about cretin beneficial microbes in compost. Not ones found in worm castings. thanks

I use compost kelloggs organic company Gardner and Bloome.. no biosolids in it. Makes a great tea with grass clippings

Ive used scraps In my soil mix, I didn't try a tea with it.

if you can find a good quality bagged compost then use it and it does have different benmies then EWC does so using both would be great...is it absolutely necessary to use both, no .. As one already mentioned EWC is all you need and is mainly what I use and that's probably due to the fact I have a endless supply of it from my worm farm.. also like slizarus said toss in some fresh grass clippings....I always have that laying around as I cut almost everyday....

Slizarus said:
I use compost kelloggs organic company Gardner and Bloome.. no biosolids in it. Makes a great tea with grass clippings

Ive used scraps In my soil mix, I didn't try a tea with it.
Yeah my biggest worry is spraying something bad on my plants that could make me sick if I eat it. But at same timke i know they compost this stuff which kills everything. Hence the biosolids but from what i read they do it in more of there bigger cheaper bagged products. The amend. thanks

Whic GB bag do you use? I see no compost for that line of product.

sp33d said:
if you can find a good quality bagged compost then use it and it does have different benmies then EWC does so using both would be great...is it absolutely necessary to use both, no .. As one already mentioned EWC is all you need and is mainly what I use and that's probably due to the fact I have a endless supply of it from my worm farm.. also like slizarus said toss in some fresh grass clippings....I always have that laying around as I cut almost everyday....
Ok i`m thiking I might try both ways one bucket with one with out. Just to see the diffrence the pump I bought has engough outlets to do 3 or 4 buckets. thanks

ColdSmoke said:
I would eliminate the fish emulsion and the kelp. Apply those separately.
I agree..I have tried to add fish/seaweed emulsion as one of the ingredients for brewing and every time I was not able to get foam...not sure why but that's what has happened to me...

Cayennemist said:
BIODIVERSITY ;)
yes yes yes

ColdSmoke said:
I would eliminate the fish emulsion and the kelp. Apply those separately.

Dang it already done it. Did you experiance no bubble?
sp33d said:
I agree..I have tried to add fish/seaweed emulsion as one of the ingredients for brewing and every time I was not able to get foam...not sure why but that's what has happened to me...
did you end up using the tea with no bubbles? I already started the brew. Pic below.

Yeah I did cause it still had the fish/seaweed emulsion in it ...not sure if it did anything good but didn't do anything bad , I know that for certain...

That's a serious air pump mang...

sp33d said:
Yeah I did cause it still had the fish/seaweed emulsion in it ...not sure if it did anything good but didn't do anything bad , I know that for certain...
That's a serious air pump mang...
Thnks sp33d
Im hoping one of them bubbles. Need to hit my peppers, we had high humidity for 5 days last week. And black spot struck.

I went to Walmart and bought one of this single outlet pump but it in produce bubbles in the bucket. So instead of buying one with two outletsbholes. I went down to my local grow shop and they had this puppy used on the shelf for $23 otd. It's a general hydroponics 8 outlet unit for 320gl. Now I'm getting great bubbles but they could do another two buckets if I wanted.
Hahahahaha. I feel like a mad scientists.

Fish emulsion contains oils which suppress the froth growth.  Kelp initially slows the process down ( building of microbe population ) for some rhyme and reason.

The EWC ( providing it hasn't run dry or been cooked in the sun ) alongside some grass clippings and a carbohydrate source ( molasses ) will get you some froth.  Note that because you don't see a froth doesn't mean you are doing things wrong.  Add the other juices ( emulsion, liquid kelp, etc.) right before applying the tea.  I mix about 1.5 cups compost with 2 cups EWC, 2 tablespoons molasses and a handful of grass clippings and grass I pulled out with roots and soil ( per 5 gallons ).  Have a bubbler inside the pantyhose which I put all the ingredients in and one underneath it.  I make 15 - 25 gallon batches at a time and like to stir up the can once in a while to prevent any anaerobic spots from forming.  Run it for 24 hours most of the time - took a sample to my buddies place who has a microscope and although I wasn't sure what I was seeing, there were quite a number of buggers movin' around.

Froth isn't an indicator of bacterial counts. You'll be fine :)

People just attach significance to bubbles, like they do with soap.
Also, it was GB organic soil building compost.
Nice stuff, even has mycorrhizals.

HurtsGood said:
Thnks sp33d
Im hoping one of them bubbles. Need to hit my peppers, we had high humidity for 5 days last week. And black spot struck.

I went to Walmart and bought one of this single outlet pump but it in produce bubbles in the bucket. So instead of buying one with two outletsbholes. I went down to my local grow shop and they had this puppy used on the shelf for $23 otd. It's a general hydroponics 8 outlet unit for 320gl. Now I'm getting great bubbles but they could do another two buckets if I wanted.
Hahahahaha. I feel like a mad scientists.

Death to undersized aquarium air pumps!

You're on the right track so hard it makes me weep composty tears of joy. Are you sure you don't want to add 5 or 10 cups of guano to that mix? XD

Tea foliars are more of a preventative for fungal/bacterial disease. YMMV, especially as I haven't tried it, but I've read better success has been found using fermented or anaerobic tea.

miguelovic said:

You're on the right track so hard it makes me weep composty tears of joy. Are you sure you don't want to add 5 or 10 cups of guano to that mix? XD

Tea foliars are more of a preventative for fungal/bacterial disease. YMMV, especially as I haven't tried it, but I've read better success has been found using fermented or anaerobic tea.
I use EWC from my worm factory (feed them using table scraps, shredded paper etc), bat guano, also toss in some grass clippings...I know I can always add more and better ingredients but that becomes a never ending list if you know hat I mean...but what I make is it good for preventative measures for fungal issues etc?

Thanks dude and sorry for jacking thread but I think it is relevant to this topic...

miguelovic said:

Yes screw those aqurim pumps. There just not up to task.

Intresting. Never read about this. T=everybody talks about anaerobic tea likes it posion.

sp33d said:
I use EWC from my worm factory (feed them using table scraps, shredded paper etc), bat guano, also toss in some grass clippings...I know I can always add more and better ingredients but that becomes a never ending list if you know hat I mean...but what I make is it good for preventative measures for fungal issues etc?

Thanks dude and sorry for jacking thread but I think it is relevant to this topic...

Well good news bad news.

Good news
stuff looks good getting bubble action. More bubbles in the bucket that I put compost.

Bad
We have been having hot weather here in bay area 100F. I did this in my garage so I don` think it gets hotter then 90F in there.

And another thing the tea it starting to smell like chum that`s been left out in sun or a real dirty fish tank. It`d been going about 36 hours will post pics tommarow. was going to do 48 hour brew.

Maybe i should have just done EWC and skipped the fish.

Do I need to be worried? people talk about if the tea smell bad don`t use it. I want to eat some of my peppers raw but don`t want to get sick from the tea.= if i do foliage spray.

Any input guys would be great.

Jack topic away as long as it`s about compost tea or related I like it.

sp33d said:

Creating a beneficial-dominant microbe population on the foliage, making it harder for pathogens to get a foothold.

HurtsGood said:
Intresting. Never read about this. T=everybody talks about anaerobic tea likes it posion.

A very long read, Compost Tea - Principles and Prospects for Plant Disease Control

A post from Logical Gardner, pdf at bottom. You may have to sign up to see it. Suppressive Effect of Non-aerated Compost Teas On Foliar Fungal Pathogens of Tomato

Back