• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

1020 Tray Inserts: Round? Square? Octagonal?

I usually just get whatever's available, and I've had good results with all of the above.

Does anyone prefer one over the other? Has there been any research on optimal shape for starting peppers?

no inserts for me, just the sqaure 3.25 in pots (18 per tray) directly in the tray. 

i like square because  you get more volume than round.

also they fit better and aren't prone to moving /  slipping around as much as the round imo.

Jiffy makes a 72 cell tray with hexagonal cells (I think it's called Pro-Hex), the shape is supposed to help the roots not get as compacted as opposed to square/circular cells.  This was my first year starting peppers from seeds but I used these trays and had a fantastic success rate. Prices online look rather steep, I got mine at Lowe's for roughly $5 a tray.  One thing to note is that this tray doesn't come with a dome, so I also bought a tray the same size that had a dome and just used the dome on the Pro-Hex tray.

It does not matter. At all. 

All I will say is that it`s easier to get the plugs of plants out of round wells. What matters is watering from the bottom. 

Back