• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pics Mite damage on my OW plants...UPDATE: Cayenne making miraculous recovery (pics inside)

This year I have four plants that I overwintered from last year: Jalapeno, Serrano, Habanero, and Cayenne.  This year the Jalapeno and Serrano stayed in their 3.8gal containers, while the Cayenne and Habanero got upgraded to the raised bed I just made earlier this year. The good news is the Jalapeno and Serrano both seem to be doing alright and are producing plenty of healthy looking pods.  Meanwhile, the growth on my Hab and Cayenne are both extremely deformed - all of the new growth is really small and shriveled.  Also I've noticed only a small handful of flowers emerging on either plant while all of my other plants are fully loaded with pods.

Here are some pictures from the Habanero.  Last year it was and extremely bushy plant with lots of nice full leaves.
10556511_10152545183284099_6148304691850055638_n.jpg
10410534_10152545183364099_4127546034924832582_n.jpg
10570366_10152545183354099_1516281327512833713_n.jpg

And here's the Cayenne.  While this one looks a bit healthier than the Habanero it still has very skinny/shriveled leaves. 
10421957_10152545183054099_8452807588321227903_n.jpg
1662143_10152545183059099_1732689218460997718_n.jpg

10300954_10152545183024099_9060080810553326668_n.jpg

Any idea what could be causing these deformities and how I can fix it?  Should I cut off the deformed growth and let it try again, or can this be fixed with fertilizers?

If it is pests, treat it immediately obviously haha. Even though I'm a new grower, I've had similar troubles with my Bhut Jolokia plant. Deformed leaves. Maybe leave the plant alone to work itself out? However I did just google Broad Mite Damage and your plants look like they've been suffering from that. Good luck man

Check the leaves and see if you see these guys:

broad_mite_1.jpg

It looks like herbicide drift damage to me - which looks looks very similar to brad mite damage. If you don't see any mites (use magnification) just pinch off all the affected shoots until your plants start looking normal again.

edit: I've dealt with herbicide damage the last two years and my plants looked just like yours for a while.

dash 2 said:
     It looks like herbicide drift damage to me - which looks looks very similar to brad mite damage. If you don't see any mites (use magnification) just pinch off all the affected shoots until your plants start looking normal again.

edit: I've dealt with herbicide damage the last two years and my plants looked just like yours for a while.

I concur. The damage I got in May looks almost identical to yours, sreinhard. Best method is to do what dash recommended I do, to prune off the affected areas leaves/stalks, and to give them some TLC. In my case, it took about 6 weeks of work in my case, but I got my plants back to a position where now they're pushing out tons of flowers and a lot of pode are developing. 

dash 2 said:

elcap1999 said:

I concur. The damage I got in May looks almost identical to yours, sreinhard. Best method is to do what dash recommended I do, to prune off the affected areas leaves/stalks, and to give them some TLC. In my case, it took about 6 weeks of work in my case, but I got my plants back to a position where now they're pushing out tons of flowers and a lot of pode are developing. 
Hmm interesting, what exactly causes herbicide drift damage (is it pretty much exactly what is sounds like)? I'll have to go out and inspect for mites just to be sure.  I'd be surprised if it was the result of herbicides because I don't even use herbicides, the only thing that's ever been used anywhere near my plants is the 3-in-1 fungicide/miticide/pesticide I spray on them when I see signs of damage.  Also, there is a third plant in the raised bed that I just started from seeds this year, it seems to have taken off growth-wise but I see none of the symptoms found on my Ow'd plants.  I'm off to inspect the plants, expect an update shortly.

sreinhard88 said:

Hmm interesting, what exactly causes herbicide drift damage (is it pretty much exactly what is sounds like)? I'll have to go out and inspect for mites just to be sure.  I'd be surprised if it was the result of herbicides because I don't even use herbicides, the only thing that's ever been used anywhere near my plants is the 3-in-1 fungicide/miticide/pesticide I spray on them when I see signs of damage.  Also, there is a third plant in the raised bed that I just started from seeds this year, it seems to have taken off growth-wise but I see none of the symptoms found on my Ow'd plants.  I'm off to inspect the plants, expect an update shortly.

The type of herbicide that likely caused this (a growth regulator like dicamba or 2,4-d) is very volatile and can drift for a mile. They're very potent, too. So even after drifting through the air for a long time, they can still be found at damaging levels. 
     By chance is the plant that wasn't affected an annuum?

sreinhard88 said:

Dash is right, 2, 4-d can drift for upwards of a mile, and as little as 0.1 PPM can affect the plants in the way you pictured. It's pretty potent stuff and aerosolizes with the slightest provocation.

If you live near a school (possibly Perry Hall High), I know that here schools in Maryland do yearly insecticide/herbicide sprays in the summer with some really heavy duty stuff. If you live near there, that could have done this. Check your neighbors plants to see if they're experiencing the same issues as you.

Just a thought

dash 2 said:

The type of herbicide that likely caused this (a growth regulator like dicamba or 2,4-d) is very volatile and can drift for a mile. They're very potent, too. So even after drifting through the air for a long time, they can still be found at damaging levels. 
     By chance is the plant that wasn't affected an annuum?
I'm actually not sure what type the other plant is, it was a seedling I didn't think I had room for so by the time I cleared space for it in the raised bed I had no idea what it was,  but my guess is it's a fatalii.  I'm not sure how this would change things though, as both a chinense and an annum are being affected.

elcap1999 said:

Dash is right, 2, 4-d can drift for upwards of a mile, and as little as 0.1 PPM can affect the plants in the way you pictured. It's pretty potent stuff and aerosolizes with the slightest provocation.

Obeychase said:
If you live near a school (possibly Perry Hall High), I know that here schools in Maryland do yearly insecticide/herbicide sprays in the summer with some really heavy duty stuff. If you live near there, that could have done this. Check your neighbors plants to see if they're experiencing the same issues as you.

Just a thought
O wow, that's kinda scary to think about, I have 4 schools located within roughly a 1.5mile radius (damn my alma mater lol).  The interesting thing is that these are the only 2 plants that are showing any real signs of damage, everyone else's plants (as well as the rest of mine) seem to be showing no signs or symptoms.

Also, a quick update: I have trimmed off all of the affected leaves and branches on my habanero. I examined most of it with a magnifying glass and, while I didn't see too much of anything that would indicate mites, I did see a few small signs of mite/some other type of insect damage.  My Hab looks so sad now, but I'm hoping this will pay off in the long run.  About to go trim the Cayenne (which hopefully won't be as bad as the hab)...I'll post the after pics soon!

Thanks again for all the advice!

Another possible cause (although unlikely) is a high dose of fertilizer just when the plant is leafing out after winter, I have done that a few times and it seems not all plants respond the same way, many do very well! They usually grew out of it though in a similar fashion to herbicide damaged plants (which I have every year, stupid 2,4 D drift!).

Alright so, based on most of the advice I've received, I figured the best course of action was to start by pruning the damaged growth.  Unfortunately, that meant a lot of growth had to be trimmed from both plants, but I'm hoping they'll recover in time to produce at least some pods by the end of the season.

The Habanero had the most growth trimmed off it, as evidenced by the pile of leaves behind it.
10562937_10152545796949099_7403130035011854271_n.jpg

The Cayenne looks a little better off, but still a lot of growth taken from this one
10570264_10152545796749099_8301064560987261571_n.jpg

As I was cutting off the damaged growth I examined the majority of it with a magnifying glass.  Unfortunately either the magnifying glass was not strong enough or the damage wasn't caused by mites, meaning herbicide drift is the most likely culprit.  I did find some interesting things upon examination of some of the leaves

Exhibit A: some kind of insect eggs?  These were found on some of the lower leaves that didn't have quite the same symptoms as the new growth (more physical damage as opposed to growth deformities)
1604829_10152545796899099_975066862669393510_n.jpg

Exhibit B: an odd mutation in one of my Cayenne leaves, it appears that either two leaves fused together or the leaf grew forked like this on its own.
10409061_10152545796729099_6483536917647928443_n.jpg

10353638_10152545796734099_1701589845785644551_n.jpg

I'll be sure to keep an eye on things and hopefully these two guys will recover alright.  I'll post updates on my glog to track their recovery.  In the meantime, is there anything else I can do for these guys?  I also decided since I was out there to do some serious weeding and then took one of those three-pronged-hand-tiller-thingys (a very technical term, I know.) and loosened up the top layer of soil in the bed.  This was done mainly for appearances but I'm sure it benefits the plants in some way as well lol.

sreinhard88 said:
Exhibit B: an odd mutation in one of my Cayenne leaves, it appears that either two leaves fused together or the leaf grew forked like this on its own.
10409061_10152545796729099_6483536917647928443_n.jpg

10353638_10152545796734099_1701589845785644551_n.jpg

I'll be sure to keep an eye on things and hopefully these two guys will recover alright.  I'll post updates on my glog to track their recovery.  In the meantime, is there anything else I can do for these guys?  I also decided since I was out there to do some serious weeding and then took one of those three-pronged-hand-tiller-thingys (a very technical term, I know.) and loosened up the top layer of soil in the bed.  This was done mainly for appearances but I'm sure it benefits the plants in some way as well lol.

My Bhut Jolokia did that as well!! It's so weird dude

wait, you pruned off the uneffected growth?

you cannot rule out mites. not untill you check them at a proper magnification.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QF0A1Y/ref=ox_ya_os_product_refresh_T1

i use that to identify mites personally. i can image them, and email photos if i need to for proper confirmation. if you are not interested in taking photos, look for jewlers loops.
i think you need like 12x to 24x magnification at least.

the 2,4-d hypothesis is a poor one given that only the newest growth is effected. its well known that mites will attack the newest growth first given that its the softest and newest parts of the leaf tissue they go after. only when you have a full blown infestation will you see damage all all of the plant. 

do you have ANY other plants in the area? any flowers, toms, any dicot should be veunerable to 2,4-d.  pesticide drift will not just sneak into your yard, and target one or two plants.
ask your neighbors if they sprayed. do you live close to any municipally maintained medians or grassy areas? does the city or state maintain any grassy right of way near you?
sometimes they spray  from vehicles into roadside ditches etc to kill trees etc.

however, the above folks are usually very professional, and rarely atomize 2,4-d. its usually the idiot homeowners that dont want dandelions in their front yard that do this.  

muskymojo said:
I've never had to deal with them (thank God), but it looks like possible broad mite damage from the pics I've seen of others.

Whatever it is, good luck.

That's what it looks like to me at first glance.

queequeg152 said:

the 2,4-d hypothesis is a poor one given that only the newest growth is effected. its well known that mites will attack the newest growth first given that its the softest and newest parts of the leaf tissue they go after. only when you have a full blown infestation will you see damage all all of the plant. 

however, the above folks are usually very professional, and rarely atomize 2,4-d. 

2,4-d tends to only affect new growth. It is localized to areas of new growth by the plant's vascular system. Also, being a growth regulator, it is expected that it will only show affects in areas of cell division and differentiation.
     Atomization of these chemicals is almost never the issue with drift. 2,4-d has a high vapor pressure and volatilizes very easily. It is these vapors that can travel long distances still affect plants.
     I'm not sure why some plants are more susceptible to damage over others, but that is the case. Last year the only plants on my property that showed any damage were my peppers. This year the pepper damage was worse, and I also saw damage on my tomatoes. Maybe some plants have the ability to metabolize these chemicals, or maybe some are more impervious than others. I dunno. Either way, it is very unlikely to see uniform damage on all plants in an area. 
     Having said that, you are correct that the best course of action would be to first determine whether mites are present and go from there. If broad mites are the cause, simply pinching off the affected growth probably won't be enough to stop an infestation. Plus, confirming the presence of mites will no doubt be much more difficult if all the heavily infested shoots have already been disposed of. 

Back