• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Datils slow to flower/pod up?

SmokenFire

Staff Member
Business Member
Zone 5a - been a slow spring and summer here.  Mots everything in the garden is taking longer than normal to fruit and/or ripen.  I have flowers and/or fruit on nearly everything in the garden.  Thus far my pepper plants are well underway for flowers and fruiting, but the 2 datils I have aren't even flowering yet.  The two plants are just as bushy and tall as the other pepper plants.  Do they normally take a long time or am I doing it wrong?  

My Datils are keeping pace with my other chinenses. I'm in Zone 7 and the seeds were planted early (just before the first of the year). My plants are loaded with pods, and they started to ripen about a week ago.

I am in zone 7 as well and having similar issues that you are describing.  It seems everything but my Datill and Orange Manzo were flowering and had fruit.  All the sudden they have both started to flower/pod up though.  The plants looked good, just seemed to be a little slow for some reason.  All my seeds were planted around mid January.

I've got jalas, poblanos, serranos, all my ajis, clavo red, cayennes, thais, habs, maui purple, allepos (going crazy!), urfa bieber, big jims, anaheims - even have rocotos on the vine.  But zero datils to date!  

I'm in zone 6a, or what might really be a cross between 5b and 6a, so closer to your weather than those in 7. My plants are more like yours - pretty much nada on the chinenses as of yet, but the annuums are going to town. We've had a roller-coaster weather ride this year, so I wouldn't worry about it. They'll start popping soon. 

geeme said:
I'm in zone 6a, or what might really be a cross between 5b and 6a, so closer to your weather than those in 7. My plants are more like yours - pretty much nada on the chinenses as of yet, but the annuums are going to town. We've had a roller-coaster weather ride this year, so I wouldn't worry about it. They'll start popping soon.
I'm pretty much the same as well and I'm in 6B

Back