• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What are some nice flavorful peppers to use practically in food for the average person?

Of course we chileheads like the Bhut Jolokia, Habanero, and Trinidad Scorpion varieties, but what are some exotic flavorful interesting and unique peppers out there? Something that has little to no heat.

I will accept peppers that go up to about 10,000 on the scoville scale.

I just ordered some Brazilian Starfish peppers from pepperlover.com and I hear those are perfect for what I'm looking for. But any other varieties you guys know of? I know they're out there.

Mariachi,black Hungarian, jaloro, Hungarian wax, banana peppers, Aleppo, arledge, beaver dam, mild cherry, piquante,Serrano, ancho/pablano, bishops crown, gochu, guajillo, chimayo, almost any of the other numex species big Jim, heritage 6-4, Sandia, garnet,cubanelle, Fresno, alma, letschauer, feher ozon, jokers hat, chapeau de frade, Marconi, jimmy nardello, bulls heart, pimento, sheepnose pimento, Urfa biber, garden salsa, cow horn, big sweet cayenne, holy mole, aji Benito, etc,etc,etc.
All peppers that I've ever tasted and that's around 500 or so varieties are good for something, even most ornamentals are at least pretty some even taste good, as for the rest of peppers some are good for frying some good for smoking, some for sauce and some for powder and then some like the carribean red hab or the bhut jolokia that are good for everything!

I just had a starfish. Awesome! Manzano, but can be hot also. A ripe jalapeno is sweeter. Fresnos are real nice.

Achar,agua Blanca, aji brown, aji panca, Bermuda, boldog, catarina, chilhuacle( red, brown, negro), criollo, Czechoslovakian black, criollo, demre,grenada seasoning, Trinidad seasoning, Tobago seasoning, st Lucia seasoning, kalosca, kovinchu, lombak,mulato, pepperoncini, any of the pasillas, antohi, shishito, chervena chujski, fushimi,lipstick, Lombardo, cyklon, Aconcagua, sweet pickle, Carmen, johnny apple, etc,etc,etc!

I have a new appreciation for red, ripe Greek pepperoncinis this year. Very sweet, slightly tart, and just enough of a mild zing to let you know it's still a pepper.

Buzz said:
I have a new appreciation for red, ripe Greek pepperoncinis this year. Very sweet, slightly tart, and just enough of a mild zing to let you know it's still a pepper.

Pepperoncinis are great. I like tabasco but I don't have any seeds.  :tear:

obeychase said:

Pepperoncinis are great. I like tabasco but I don't have any seeds.  :tear:

My tabasco plant is loaded with peppers, just not ripe yet. PM me your info, and I'd be happy to send you some once they ripen. Maybe a week or so.

My vote is Fresno. I love those peppers. Super sweet with a red bellish type flavor, yet have a hit just higher than a jalapeño.

Reactions: SL3
JutsFL said:
My vote is Fresno. I love those peppers. Super sweet with a red bellish type flavor, yet have a hit just higher than a jalapeño.
By no means exotic, but I'm with you on this one. It's one of my staple peppers in my garden. This year I have selected only the ones that grow upright, they seem to have the best flavor. All my salsas get 4 to 5 thrown in for the flavor, then a few hotter peppers to bring up the heat as needed. Last week I used two Yellow Scorpions with Fresno's. What a wonderful blend of heat and flavor. 

Back