• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Quick and Easy Mango-Peach Pepper Sauce...BANG!

I went to the local Farmer's Market and scored 2 very ripe mangoes, plus 2 very ripe peaches for $1.  I had noticed a few pods ripening in the garden earlier, so, this is what I came up with.  It's not a scorcher, but, a very pleasant warmer.  I'll have to try it again after it chills.

THE PLAYERS:

1 SB7J, roasted
1 Caribbean red Habanero, roasted
1 Red Scorpion Tongue, roasted
2 mangoes
2 peaches, roasted
2 TBLS honey
2 TBLS lime juice
1/2 tsp salt

The fruit.

Fresh picked pods.

Peaches, pan roasting.  Mangoes were put straight into the blender, un-roasted.

Pods a'roastin'.

Ready to blend in the pods.  I blended the fruit, honey, salt, and lime juice first, and taste tested it before adding the pods.

BANG!

I think I'm going to slather a BBQ-ed chicken sandwich with this sauce for dinner.

Having had it again after it cooled, I'd say the mango was too ripe.  A little odd tasting, and dominates the flavor profile...can't really taste the peaches.  The heat is a slow builder, the more you eat.  Definitely worth trying again with only 1 mango, and 2 peaches...a bit more lime juice...needs tinkering.

You could always try adding more peach and citrus to the mix and back into the blender if you think the issue was quantity and not quality of the mango. 

MAFWIZ said:
You could always try adding more peach and citrus to the mix and back into the blender if you think the issue was quantity and not quality of the mango.
Thanks for the advice. I think the mangoes were over ripe. The taste had a strange finish that other people noticed, too.

OP - do you always include the skin after your roast the peppers?

Does the char affect the overall flavor?

I was looking at roasting, but thought you needed to remove the skins (after steaming, in a plastic bag, post-roast) first?

Peppers this small don't need the skins removed. Some recipes use as many as 20 pods, which would be a real pain to individually peel. Large peppers, like Anaheims, are usually peeled after roasting, to make chile rellenos. I don't know of anyone who peels these hot/superhot peppers.

Roasting brings out sweetness. The charred skin adds nothing to the flavor, but actually looks kind of cool in the bottled sauce.

Roguejim said:
Peppers this small don't need the skins removed. Some recipes use as many as 20 pods, which would be a real pain to individually peel. Large peppers, like Anaheims, are usually peeled after roasting, to make chile rellenos. I don't know of anyone who peels these hot/superhot peppers.

Roasting brings out sweetness. The charred skin adds nothing to the flavor, but actually looks kind of cool in the bottled sauce.

Yea, the size, fiddly why-am-I-spending-an-hour-doing-this? factor was what was putting me off roasting ... OK, the next batch are getting roasted.

Back