• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Big pots with big drain holes...

I've got tons of ex-nursery pots. Problem is many of them seem to have fairly huge drain holes in them (as do many terracotta ones).

I've always used spare bits of bricks, broken roof tiles and broken clay pot pieces to obstruct these giant holes to avoid my precious soil just washing out the bottom (yes, disinfected).

Is there a better / faster / easier way for dealing with these problem pots?

Cheers, Antony.

Hey there-----How about a piece of land scape fabric?Not dangerous to plants and will still drain.Just make it cover the entire bottom and then the weight of the soil surrounding the hole will keep it in place.Good luck .

I made pots out of newspaper once, but they got moldy so now I avoid it. I'd use rocks or stick with broken tiles/pots or something that won't rot.

rainbowberry said:
:lol: They fall under my fence, honestly.

Kent Police News Flash:

Women fined for borrowing bricks from neighbors drive..honestly the lady questioned by police it was just a couple of bricks..the neighbor commented that the lady must have a JCB in her bedroom because 8 tons had gone missing in the last 3 months..:shocked:

update:..it appears tons of compost has also gone missing in this small village in kent and a large quantity of chilli sauces/tabasco and anythin hot from the local store..

talas said:
Kent Police News Flash:

Women fined for borrowing bricks from neighbors drive..honestly the lady questioned by police it was just a couple of bricks..the neighbor commented that the lady must have a JCB in her bedroom because 8 tons had gone missing in the last 3 months..:shocked:

update:..it appears tons of compost has also gone missing in this small village in kent and a large quantity of chilli sauces/tabasco and anythin hot from the local store..

Funnily enough only last week I had PC Plod knocking on my door (robbery down the road). I was dying for him to notice my greenhouse. As for the village store, well the only thing hot in that used to be the bloke that worked there.

rainbowberry said:
Funnily enough only last week I had PC Plod knocking on my door (robbery down the road). I was dying for him to notice my greenhouse. As for the village store, well the only thing hot in that used to be the bloke that worked there.

:shocked: you are indeed an English rose r.b,a hot English variety of course :lol:;)

I used newspaper in mine just one piece folded in half and filled - once watered and paper is wet and soil settled I stick my finger in the hole to drain -- once the plant ahs been watered well the soil stays in place.

I dont put anything in the bottom of my containers, & some of them have big holes (like 1" holes, never measured). yes some dirt falls out while filling the container but once you've water the soil in it once, the soil compacts some or just stays clumped together, I've never had anymore soil fall out of the container during the whole growing season.
& why weight down the containers with rocks or ? it just makes it more work moving the containers then, if needed.

I've never had a problem with pot and big hoes....oh wait...

*that I beat IGG to this obvious conclusion astounds me*

Then again, I never mention pot, and he never mentions big hoes...irony or conspiracy?

Hmmm.

I read somewhere that you could use window screen material. I can't remember if it's vinal or nylon, as long as it's not the metal stuff.

Back