• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Need an I.D. on this red pepper

I bought these plants unfortunately from Hirts maybe 4 months ago labeled as Carolina reaper peppers im not sure why it took so long to figure out that they arent what they were labeled as. So please im new to growing peppers and i would like to at least know what peppers im dealing with here thanks 

http://imgur.com/a/bYsGm

the red pepper is roughly 2" long and the green one so far is only 1/2" long 

Hirts seems to be one of those companies that seems to be a roller coaster for customer service. they seem to get things right 50% of the time, unfortunate for the other 50% that are left pissed at them do to their plethora of mistakes. lots of reviews on them at davesgarden.com

Peculiar looking annuum though if indeed it is. I think that since it has gotten this far, let it run its course and review the pod. I have gotten strange pods from seeds listed as one thing but grew out something else. Sometimes that something else is worth hanging on to. I had a plant that was supposed to be naga viper and grew pods yet to be identified. so for my purposes, I called them mutt. I have since sent them to 3 other THP members and await their opinions.

Would you post a pic of the overall plant, too? The leaf shape seems more chinense to me - could be that you have a cross. Annuums have a very strong Y-shape to them: a single main stem that splits into two, with smaller branches coming off these two. Their leaves are typically thin and pointed at both stem and tip, with the broad part of the leaf not widening out a lot. You can see that the bottom leaf (which seems to suffer from a nutrient deficiency) is more rounded at the stem end than the tip end, which is more typical of a chinense. As smokemaster said, one pod per node is most common for annuums. However, anomalies do occur - chinense sometimes put out one pod at a given node, and I have an annuum right now that branched into 3 from the base, rather than the typical 2. 

Could be, I've seen Thaibaneros that looked similar.  It's definitely not a reaper.  The leaves and calyx are definitely chinense, but that species is supposed to be dominant in an interspecific cross. 

What color is the flower? I ask because the leaves and stems have a slight fuzz/hair and they seem to be more vine like then shrub like. Many pubescens peppers are like this and there are rocoto peppers this color and shape just google it.

Harvest the ripe red pepper and slice it open to check seed color as that will help also.

Back