• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Brown veins under leaves and more

My habaneros have developed some kind of brown spots under the leaves. They appear to be present only on older leaves, new leaves are fine. I did have some aphids on those two habaneros but I killed them with soap. My other habanero which is from different seeds is fine though. Didn't have any aphids or brown spots. Maybe this is a genetic bacteria?

2014-07-28-141712.jpg

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Other thing I am wondering, maybe it is a same problem or totaly different one. Those two "infected" habaeros also grow distorted new leaves sometimes, they look like this:

2014-07-28-142242.jpg

2014-07-28-135958.jpg

Any help will be appreciated!

PS: I do water the plants with algae fertilizer every 2 weeks and they have plenty of sun.

Most often that type of leaf distortion is caused by over-fertilizing. Your frequency isn't necessarily the issue, but the quantity that you use each time is. The brown spots could also be caused by over-fertilizing.

geeme said:
Most often that type of leaf distortion is caused by over-fertilizing. Your frequency isn't necessarily the issue, but the quantity that you use each time is. The brown spots could also be caused by over-fertilizing.

Hmm that would explain why new leaves don't have such problems as I didn't fertilize much this last weeks. But I heard lack of some minerals can cause such leaves

The most common cause of that kind of leaf distortion, especially amongst new growers, is over-fertilization. Can it point to something else? Sure. But you're fairly new to growing, as I understand it, so I'd recommend you go with the most common cause first, then if that doesn't correct the issue let's look further. Note that leaves that badly puckered may not return to normal, but the new growth should start coming in fine, if over-fertilizing is the problem.

I find it happens in specific cases of over fertilizing where there is too high a nitrogen to calcium ratio, that the leaf tissue grows faster than the veins then given more time the leaf becomes a more normal shape.  The bigger problem is if the fertilizer ratio continues you may find you have bloom or pod abortion due to it. 

Back