• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Cheese cloth to isolate plants

I'm seeing lots of this around these days, as the 17-year cicadas are nearby (we had them a 3-4 years ago in ourt neighborhood). People are covering smaller plants to keep them out and it seems a good way to protect some plants while they are flowering. They let in plenty of sunlight and of course water and I would only need it on a few plants - the ones seeds are hard to find or expensive - for a week or two.

It would be neat to uncover a plant and find a dozen pods growing and know they are the real McCoy.

Of course, cloning and overwintering are also options!

Mike

can the smaller bugs still get through cheese cloth tho? it seems pretty open weave for 100% assurance to me.
what i'm doing, since i clearly have all the lights anyways, is taking one plant in at a time for a few days, i put a ribbon on flowers that are just forming, then when those open i hand pollinate and keep the ribbon on so i know which pods to take my seeds from (and to leave them on the plant longer...)

The cheesecloth sold around here is woven so tightly an aphid would have to suck in its stomach ot get through it. No way will a honeybee or bumblebee make it through. I'm thinking of building a simple 30" square stand I can set over the plant so even if it rains, I don't have to worry about the extra weight.

Mike

wordwiz said:
The cheesecloth sold around here is woven so tightly an aphid would have to suck in its stomach ot get through it. No way will a honeybee or bumblebee make it through. I'm thinking of building a simple 30" square stand I can set over the plant so even if it rains, I don't have to worry about the extra weight.

Mike

the cheese cloth i've gotten from craft stores here is barely classified as cloth in my opinion, that's what i was imagining...

i would look at floating row covers. read up a little i'm not sure if they are pollen proof but they definiatly are good against bugs and helps a litte with sun. check em out i did a google search and got quite a few results.

Back