• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

indoor Indoor growing and pruning?

Hi everyone!

I'm somewhat new to growing pepper plants and I was hoping someone could answer a few questions about growing indoors and share their take on pruning. First things first, I purchased seeds for the following:

Brazilian Starfish
Fatalii
CGN21500
Aji Pineapple
Peruvian White Habanero

Has anyone grown any of these and do you prune or have suggestions about pruning? I know a few of these get pretty tall, but I'm trying to keep them at 3 feet or less. I did build a medium sized greenhouse for indoors that is about 3 feet tall. Not 100% done but it will have lights and a couple fans built into it in about 2 weeks or so. Any other tips are greatly appreciated!! :)

3' tall greenhouse? So with lights installed and the height of the pot the plant is in you will have about roughly 11" of vertical grow space? Never saw such a feat accomplished ...your gonna have to do some serious pruning my man unless I'm misunderstanding something ...?

Hey! Out of those I've done the Peruvian White Habs, the plants can definitely be kept under 3ft and still get a good amount. I've been having a probelm with a lot more deer and rabbits this year, and one of mine of the white habs got eatten down a lot. Its about a foot and a half tall now after growing back so far, and it's got about 20 peppers growing on it now and some new flowers, so with care and not being eaten, that one should do really great. Good luck!

The light will be sitting on top of the frame so the plants can grow right up to the top, shoulda mentioned that. Will be fit to the plastic board I cut to fit on the top of the frame. I figure once the plants start getting....constrained by the greenhouse structure, I can just take them out and put them on a nearby shelving unit near the window. How tall of a pot are you talking, Sp33d? a foot tall? What is the minimum sized pot you'd suggest?

Krazy, thanks! I don't think the fatalii or starfish will be too happy after a certain point, but that makes me feel excited about the white habs. I'm basically incredibly fed up with growing things outside at the moment. I am stuck in an apartment and have a large balcony filled with flowers, herbs and some other pepper plants (Sangria ornamental, Chili peppers, bell peppers, 7 pot peppers) but I have a stupid amount of aphids that I kill every day. That and we can't get rid of the whiteflies. We have a ghost pepper growing under the areogrow lights, too :)

you're welcome! sounds like a cool set up you got.

ive been doing mine in pots outside this and last year, and keep them in 5 gallon pots. they grow pretty big for potted plants when not getting attacked by the local animals (3-just over 4 ft tall above the soil, and they look real happy) and about 5 ft for my tomato plants. with most of the ones that regrew after getting eaten almost all the way down, they started growing flowers at about 2-3 ft, but they had a lot of trauma, so i feel like pruning but keeping them happy to keep them the right size for you would work.

Back