• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Ghost Pepper Problems

My ghost pepper has been very healthy throughout the summer and has recently blossomed, but I have noticed more and more leaves falling off. Is this normal? It is to the point where the plant is looking very barren and when I gently touch a big leaf it instantly falls off. The leaves are a normal, dark green color. Help please?

Both root binding and nutrient deficiency are usually marked by yellowed leaves rather than healthy green ones.  ConMan, what do the leaves look like, are they wrinkled, etc.?

Pictures always help.

This may also be an issue with watering.

I will post links to pictures. No they are not in pots and I have been watering them usually every other day but it just started two days ago. This past week I have given it 10-10-10 fertilizer as soon as it started blossoming but I don't think this is why. I also have been spraying an Epsom salt mix on the leaves but I don't know if this is it either
http://imgur.com/cxZT2HY
http://imgur.com/O12tWzH

i suspect the fertilizer is the issue.  can you providedetails around the product and how much you used.  Also i almost never need to water my inground plants.  onceevery 2 days sounds like a lot of water

I had to read the wiki page on IL to get a better handle on your weather.  Your highs are similar to mine but the humidity seems higher there.  I now think your plant maybe dropping leaves because it is drowning.  It would be great to hear from another Illinois grower about whether they water their inground plants.

In the mean time I would suggest digging into the soil near the plant, even just with a finger, until you are about 3 inches deep.  If it is dry there it is time to water.

Yeah, I would say you should be in the clear for watering for a couple of weeks, maybe just check the soil every 3 days, it will give you a good indication of how it dries. I hope you don't get a rainy period, that seems to always happen when you want dry soil.

To provide an indication I might not need to water my plants over the whole season,, 8 months, or I might water them once or twice if they are wilted.

Until the plant perks up a bit stop with fertilizers, Epson salts etc.  Keep us posted on how things progress.

I am sorry to say, but that plant doesn't look very healthy from an overall standpoint IMO...I see that it is in a raised bed....does that raised bed have drainage?....when you check the dampness of your soil...the soil can be bone dry down to 2 inches and still at the roots 6" down it can be mud....

if you can get to your roots, look at one and check the color of the sheath...if the sheath is brownish and not almost white, you have the beginnings of root rot...

The plant is a strange shape.  Does that area have a lot of side-sun but not much directly overhead?

It almost looks more like damage from an animal attack and now the roots are tore up.

The plant is dead. I think you might be right on an animal attack, as I had put raw fish as fertilizer. We had brought home our catch and I put the pieces we couldn't eat in the ground. It was gone no more than 3 days later

Back