• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Caribbeans?

I bought these as Caribbean Hot Peppers at a plant sale. The woman told me they weren't too hot - which I suppose is relative :lol: Anyway, I googled Caribbean Hot Peppers and apparently they're also called Scotch Bonnets and some are habs. Needless to say, I was a bit confused (I don't know much about peppers - still learning!). Anyway, my question is: Are these Caribbean Hots/Scotch Bonnets/habs? Are they all the same thing? Feels like a silly question...

Also, how painful can I expect them to be? I'm determined to at least taste every pepper in the garden, so I have to taste it, but I want to be prepared. I'm finally raising my heat threshold - started the summer only being able to tolerate the lower half of a jalapeño, and now I can use most of a dragon cayenne without too much discomfort (or maybe it's a lot of discomfort and I'm just learning to enjoy it?). Baby steps, but it's a step in the right direction!

10511070_10202390768275944_4765746079353639103_n.jpg

To me they look like Caribbean Reds.  Scotch Bonnets are different from those along with being different from habs.  To answer your question easily,  all three are different.  The heat level on those are about that of a regular orange hab.

All the sites I found seemed to say something along the lines of "Caribbean reds can also be scotch bonnets, which can also be habs" which I found extremely confusing. They can be, but they aren't always? Hm.

Thanks for the answers! Now I'm especially afraid to try them. Maybe I'll do it before they ripen...Will that make it less awful for me? :lol: I'll try to focus on the flavor too. I honestly hadn't thought much about different peppers having different flavors until I joined here. Now I'm paying attention when I eat them :D

Dont pick them green, flavor will not be the same as when ripe. Wait to turn red, cut of a small sliver and try that. If your familiar with heat of habs this one to me is just slightly higher, but not much. Very tasty pepper you have there.

beerbreath81 said:
Dont pick them green, flavor will not be the same as when ripe. Wait to turn red, cut of a small sliver and try that. If your familiar with heat of habs this one to me is just slightly higher, but not much. Very tasty pepper you have there.

I've never had a hab! I told my dad I was going to taste test (I just feel like I have to!) and he proceeded to tell me that he doesn't like the heat OR flavor of habs.  :rolleyes:

The thing is that "Caribbean" may not even be an official name, rather something someone slapped on because they didn't know, especially considering that it looks like a hab so why wouldn't they have called it that and not caribbean at all if they were lost for a name?  Wait and see what color they ripen to.

Roast a ripe one on the grill for your dad, that changes the flavor profile a lot by removing some of the citrusy undertones.  It's probably at least 5X hotter than the cayenne.  There's nothing you can do about the heat level if that's not his thing, except grow some more jalapenos. 

Dave2000 said:
The thing is that "Caribbean" may not even be an official name, rather something someone slapped on because they didn't know, especially considering that it looks like a hab so why wouldn't they have called it that and not caribbean at all if they were lost for a name?  Wait and see what color they ripen to.

Roast a ripe one on the grill for your dad, that changes the flavor profile a lot by removing some of the citrusy undertones.  It's probably at least 5X hotter than the cayenne.  There's nothing you can do about the heat level if that's not his thing, except grow some more jalapenos. 
Caribbean Red is a generic name for a species bred commercially in the Caribbean, they are like Aji Chombo (Black man's pepper, referring to the migrant workers who harvest them).

Both the Caribbean Red and Aji Chombo don't have official names and are commercially bred varities for the hot sauce industry, this is why they both have thick walls and are very prolific.

Back