• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Nitrogen Deficiency

I'm headed to the store to buy some Blood Meal. How often should I administer? Also, should I use it at 1/2 strength or more like 1/4 strength?

klyth, if you are sure it is nitrogen deficiency, I would simply add a
2X-X-X fert to the top of the soil as a side dressing then water it in...if you want to get fancy...work about a tablespoon of the 2X-X-X into the top 1 inch of the soil then water in...problem with disturbing the top of the soil is you may (and probably will) damage some of the shallow root system of the plant...thats why I just sprinkle it on top of the soil and let the moisture do its trick...JMO...others will do it differently I am sure...

AJ,

A couple of years ago, I had a bag of 33-0-0 fertilizer. I broadcast some lightly over the garden and then soaked thoroughly. This seemed to really give all my plants a great boost.

Mike

With blood-meal, I'd probably use a little less than the directions on the box/bag. You can try some liquid fish emulsion too, it works good for me but stinks

Any of you guys ever tried urea? That is mostly what I use in the way that AJ suggested. Works good for me

The organic fert I currently use is 5-3-3, but I've only used it twice in the 3+ months they've been growing, for fear of overdoing it.

used the following mixture on them, 4 drops of superthrive ,2 tablesppons of fish emulsion ,and one capful of liquid seaweed per gallon of water.

andres said:
Any of you guys ever tried urea? That is mostly what I use in the way that AJ suggested. Works good for me

Be careful with urea, its very high in nitrogen and can also lead to Ammonia toxicity. Chiles don't need a whole lot of nitrogen and its very easy to over-do it with urea. Also it doesn't need to be applied close to the plants.

"Urea, anhydrous ammonia and ammonium forms of nitrogen (N), once converted to the nitrate form in the soil, and sulphur (S) in the sulphate form, will move in the soil solution and don’t have to be placed in or very near the seed row."
http://www.agriculture.gov.sk.ca/Default.aspx?DN=97971a8a-8cb5-449b-b9a7-6cea618e7cbc

POTAWIE said:
With blood-meal, I'd probably use a little less than the directions on the box/bag. You can try some liquid fish emulsion too, it works good for me but stinks

........or do what I used to do in my garden when I had one at my parents house years ago. Just take the leftovers from the fish you had caught that were already filleted out, and bury them in the dirt next to all of the plants:shocked:..........Now that works, but smells horrible for a few days.:lol:

rabbit said:
........or do what I used to do in my garden when I had one at my parents house years ago. Just take the leftovers from the fish you had caught that were already filleted out, and bury them in the dirt next to all of the plants:shocked:..........Now that works, but smells horrible for a few days.:lol:
That's similar to what the Native Americans did. The would dig a hole, put a dead fish in it, cover it with a little more dirt, than plant a corn seed over it.

I've heard that one before but first problem is with animals/pests and second is that peppers don't need a late blast of nitrogen. It would probably be great for corn though

andres said:

it's pretty harsh on plants. it's cheap tho so a lot of chemical fertilizers use it for their nitrogen content (imho that's actually the number one problem with miracle gro, most of their nitrogen comes from urea) with chemical ferts it's really important what's being used in the composition.
for the most part in veggie gardens the plants will be able to tolerate it, but a more sensitive plant would suffer (i grow african violets and they don't like it...)

imaguitargod said:
That's similar to what the Native Americans did. The would dig a hole, put a dead fish in it, cover it with a little more dirt, than plant a corn seed over it.

That's where I originally got the idea. I didn't do it with pepper plants, but I did it with others then. They really get growing quick as well.:D

klyth, I had a serious nitrogen deficiency early on this year and the plant pathologist suggested full strength Miracle Grow even though the plants were at a younger stage and everything worked out perfect within two days my plants had greened up nicely and it could not have been easier. one fert one application.

Dale

Thank you everyone! I ended up with some Blood Meal, and I'm using it full strength for now, knowing full well I can flush the plants if they look burned in the next day or two. Hopefully this will do the trick!

Back