• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

snacks Fish and Chips

Attempted to make some homemade fish and chips for the first time using my new deep fryer. First time using the fryer as well so it was not without hitches. 

Made a beer batter. Little did I know that beer batter not only tastes good, but makes a superglue more potent than actual superglue itself. So I put the battered fish into the basket then put the basket in the oil. Once done, removed the basket and was shocked to discover that the fish was bloody welded to the basket! It took bloody half an hour using all manner of scrapers grill brushes and spatulas to remove as much of the gunk as I could. The fact that I was half drunk by this point did not help lol

So, take 2. This time, I put the basket in the oil BEFORE I add the food then give it a quick shake to avoid sticking. Result? Much better! Fried up several batches of crab sticks, scallops and prawns. Have to say, tasted pretty damn good! Scallops especially, had a nice creamy texture.

Scallops and prawns
fishchips1_zps56b1d393.jpg

fish and crab sticks
fishchips2_zpsfe4c7dfb.jpg

Got dang that looks goodern' hell!

Beer batter aka man batter is the eight wonder of the world.

The crab sticks look especially dirty.

In a date night way.

Thankyou gents! Rest assured, beer was consumed en masse. Whenever the deep fryer comes out to play hence forth, so will the beer  :onfire:

First time trying homemade beer batter, it certainly won't be the last! Think I'll do this again next week, right after I try some homemade KFC...

Cool.

My beer batter is really a tempura.

Ice cold beer.

50/50 AP flour & corn flour.

A little cumin.

A little baking powder.

And a big splooge of mustard.

Not too thin but not pancake thick.

I don't mix it up until just before the oil comes to temp.

Fish and shrimp tacos done this way are guaranteed panty droppers.

True story.

Thankyou gents! Rest assured, beer was consumed en masse. Whenever the deep fryer comes out to play hence forth, so will the beer  :onfire:

First time trying homemade beer batter, it certainly won't be the last! Think I'll do this again next week, right after I try some homemade KFC...

Nice, would you like to share your recipe? :)

rory said:
Nice, would you like to share your recipe? :)

Beer! Spread evenly between oneself and the flour. Kinda like when Homer Simpson fills his car with Gasohol... One for you, One for Me lol 

TB, you batter is interesting... never thought of adding mustard and you only mix it just before coating and hitting the oil. These were done with the batter mixed and then rested in the beer emporium for half an hour. I will give your method a shot next time and see how it compares. 

Homemade Fish n chips, round 2. 

God
20140804_223854_zpsfd9b93a5.jpg

Fish n chips
fish1_zps6481c985.jpg

fish2_zps6967798d.jpg

fish3_zpsff8a4094.jpg

Insanity Fish n Chips platter which I couldn't even smash half of, even with the assistance of booze. 
crazyfishchips_zpsd5635e89.jpg

awesome looking fish, what kind of beer in the batter?  The best beer batter I ever made used,  cooper's sparkling ale but sadly they don't carry it any more around here. 

Nova said:
You can brew it though. :)

WWW.coopers.com should be able to get you there.

I remember back in the early 80's starting to homebrew using Coopers extract.

Not bad.

And I was also buying Coopers in the big cans in Alaska from Discount Liquor Warehouse in Anchorage back then.

But I also have a question regarding fish n' chip styles.

In Alaska we'd use halibut and a simple beer batter.

But what about NZ and Aussie styles vs. UK fish n' chips?

Type of fish varieties and batters?

You Knuck's chime in too as I know y'all dig on some FNC as well.

Whatever the fish and chip shop has at the time!

I think the majority of fish here is actually shark or flake as it is called. I myself don't make these tasty tid bits as i like to save my carbohydrate intake for the nectar that is beer.
That might change though after seeing this.

I do remember as a kid having some glorious beer battered fish, that was Red Emporor and it was the best battered fish i have ever had.

This thread had me dreaming of making pan fried fish.  Walleye specifically, I think I saw that on Musky's flog, but this thread is what made me dream about it.  I just love me some fish and chips.

Oh and TB, here in Amishland, most of the time it is cod or haddock for fish and chips.  Halibut is too good and too expensive to eat that way.

UK is cod, haddock, and plaice.

I've had all 3. The plaice fish is very nice. Haddock too. But last time I got the cod it was excellent. The place I get it from is UK run and they get it shipped from Boston straight off the boat. The plaice they catch there is American plaice, a little different, but still plaice.

Beer batter is cool, but the main purpose it to make the batter light and fluffy. The carbonation does that. So you can also use seltzer and get the same effect, w/o the beer taste. But beer batter is cool because you do get the beer taste. It's up to you.

The highly carbonated beers work best. So definitely force carbonated beers are better than bottle conditioned.

Back