• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pequin?

Hello to all! I started growing hot peppers about 2 years ago and have done quite a bit of experimenting in regards to different varieties. Im generally not one to follow the hype about super hot seeds unless I have experienced their potential. Im sure many of you have heard the hype about indian pc-1 or something similar. Has anyone had experience with these? I live in Connecticut so my growing season is ok but I have to start a little early which doesnt leave too much room for error. I currently already have seedlings of golden habaneros, dynamos, peter peppers, (picture the name) thai chiles, and some chocolates. I gues my main question is do you all do anything special or have you heard anything important in regards to soil preparation to help increase the heat in the peppers themselves?

Ahhhh, the illusive pepper that is only found aboard black-ops helicopters, and whose scattered moleclar structures have been found in crop circles across the world. Well, if you find your farm has been subject to cattle mutilations performed by ionized diatomic de-atomized argon lasers, perhaps you have come too close to actually finding one of these peppers. Most know that these semi-Nature based vegetables are closely guarded by the mithral crocodiles that inhabit the waste systems of Manhatten sewerage. Hope this helps your quest.

Ok, back to gravity-based life...Soil has A LOT to do with the pepper, any pepper, as does total environment. There is a plethora of information in regards to extreme soil development, if indeed this is what you are inquiring about. Always remember, experimentation IS the spice of life. No pun intended......OK, sorry for the diatribe, back to my development of crop circle holograms... :flamethrower:

Piquin.....that was the topic of this thread that got my attention.....what about piquins?

Maybe this, too, got lost in the aether......

Hey willard, I was just trying to get an idea if anyone had experience growing these. I.E. Soil conditions, heat level, productivity,etc. Also if they are even obtainable the real ones I mean.

pete-

Regarding your mention of the PC-1, I ordered some from ecoseeds and started germing them on the 14th of Jan. They popped yesterday. Ill post pics when they get a little bigger. I read a list of scoville ratings conducted in 2001 by Dr. Paul Bosland of the Chile Pepper Institute of New Mexico State University. He tested 2 varities of PC-1 (ecoseeds & reimers). The reimers PC-1 was 10X hotter than the ecoseeds. He included the caveat that

"these heat levels are the result of a single test of chiles grown in that specific environment and therefore should not be considered definitive heat levels for the particular varieties"

long post short...if your interested, I could send you some of mine...or...you could order some from reimers and we could compare notes later this season.

*i know nothing about Piquins...but id like 2 learn...*

cheers

sam

>> http://www.fiery-foods.com/dave/heatlevels2001.html
(the above mentioned ratings list)

Thank you sam! Its always good to have other locations from which to order seeds. Im not sure if you are familiar with the site or not but pepper joes has some fantastic seeds to offer. Ill let you know about the seeds in a few days. Work is hectic working 8am-9pm this week but ill let you know thanks fo rhte offer.

Piquin just means small chile. In Mexican markets, any chiles that is less than about 1" long is called a piquin.

You may also be including tepins in this question, and here is a Texas Bird Chile:

tepin5.jpg

This is a capsicum annuum and seed can be had from Monticello gardens. They are a wild chile and require very little fertilizer or water. The seeds are hard to germinate.

Back