• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Growing tobacco like its 1688.

owing to my imminent departure from this particular place of residence. i elected to not do any serious growing this sunmmer. pretty much all i have right now is a swarm of cactus plants, some nanner plants and these tobacco plants.

little background, i bought these seeds from a lad on ebay offering like... 50k seeds from this or that cultivar... i offered him some cash for a sampler pack of all his cultivars, and lucky for me he accepted.

these are not run of the mill seeds. these are treated, and well bred cultivars from some company in kentucky. honestly i do know who breeds them, i have yet to get very far with my tobacco research.

image003small_zpsdb4dca94.jpg

arent they cute? like little skittles.  the seed coating contains a fungicide, + a systemic to fight off bacteria.

they are excellent seeds, probably fairly new. 100% germ as far as i can tell.
i dropped 5+ into each 1" rockwool cube. i will probably cut these cubes up at some point, their roots are not showing as of yet, on the bottom.

these are like a week past starting the seeds. 

image002small_zps1b5867a1.jpg

these are indeed tiny plants.

image001small_zps71097db6.jpg

anyway, im moving out into a tiny apartment in september, so these obiviously will not reach the towering 10' they can supposedly reach.

if anyone in Houston is interesting in these plants, they can have them free of charge. If... somehow, there are multiple parties interested, ill come up with some fair way to give them away i suppose. 

edit:
fwiw i have no plans to cure the tobacco, its just a jaunty little fun aside. i have no clue how one even cures tobacco to be honest.

There are a couple of forum members who have grown baccy. Hopefully they will chime in.
I sprouted some once, they died from lack of watering when I went away for the weekend. :p

don't quote me but I think "ikeepfish" grows baccy..I could be mistaken and thinking of someone else...

Cool stuff man, when I lived in North Carolina that stuff was everywhere and my neighbor specifically had a sheeit ton of acreage full of the baccy....

Good luck man...

sp33d said:
don't quote me but I think "ikeepfish" grows baccy..I could be mistaken and thinking of someone else...

Cool stuff man, when I lived in North Carolina that stuff was everywhere and my neighbor specifically had a sheeit ton of acreage full of the baccy....

Good luck man...
thanks,
and yea, that begs a very good question... how well will this baccy do in houston? how much cooler is kentucky? not very im hoping.

mini update. nothing real interesting...

they are coming along tho.

image001small_zpsd8c7c682.jpg

i cut half of the cubes into pieces, isolating each plant. their root system is insanely small, and shallow. only a couple of them hit the bottom of the cubes in all this time.
did my best to not nick any roots.

image002small_zpsb59dfb77.jpg

i repotted these into solo cups, srry i neglected to get a photo of that.
going outside this weekend.

sp33d said:

Good luck man...
I do not currently but may try it next season as I increase my nightshade collection.  There are a few people around here that have some impressive organic cultivars I can get some seeds for

i have not abandoned this thread!

the plants are a great deal better, they are however, languishing under the t8's. TBH ive been busy making arrangements, wrapping things up here in houston prior to my move so they never made it outside!

ill get some pics up by this weekend for sure.

turns our that the place im moving too has a 60x20ish sunnyish backyard, so i will actually try growing these gals out in 3 gallon containers.

here they are today.

they are growing quickly... leaves are soft and fuzzy, they are quite cute.

now that i have the chance, im looking forward to growing these out in the coming months

im going to remove the smallest plants, leaving just one.

here they are today. all cups have been weeded to a single, superior looking plant.

they are doubling in size i would say, every week...  they are still under t-8's unfortunatly. Perhaps that is best however, much bigger and they will be problematic to take with me on my move.

the plants are starting to look vaguely tobaccoish i would say?

thanks for the kind words. i get a strong sense... that these things are straining at the leash so to speak, begging to see some real intense sunlight.

im thinking of pre hardening them off under my PLL fixture...

i really need to think about curing the stuff tho.
i smoke a pipe quite often, infact you can see one of my pipes, amongst a sea of other crap, in that photo above.
it surly would not go to waste should i successfully cure it.  im thinking i could buy some pure virginia flake, and something with perique...  and blend some of this burly in... making something reasonable tasting.

i THINK you know what PLL bulbs are? but incase you dont...

PLL = phillips long life ( i think)

https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/4625/FC24-P24062.html

my very first growlamp was a PLL 4 bulb 225 watt lamp.  i built thaqt thing back in... 2011 maby. they are phenomenal bulbs, but they are just too expensive...
 last bulbs i bought for it cost me like... 11 bucks each... + shipping. osram 55watt bulbs. 11 bucks was a steal too, as they go for more online.

They bulbs are quite hot, everybit as hot as low wattage HPS and MH bulbs. they are marginally more efficient than HO t5's 

one thing i noticed was how much the light output drops when you agressivly cool the bulbs... they seem to output the most light when you let the bulbs reach like 115 degrees.

my fav thing is how small the fixture is... its basically the same size as a seed flat. i put the PLL fixture inside my mini grow tent. lately, its only been used for tomato starts. like 1 week under the t8's and 2 weeks inside that tent, w/ the PLL fixture and they are 100% hardened and ready to go outside.

the cheap ass PLL bulbs are garabage... they wear out in like 6 weeks, and drop output significantly.
i had come cheapo bulbs from the above website side by side with the new osrams... and with sunglasses the diff is night and day.
last year i checked the osram bulbs, and they are still good +- 10%. 

granted all i have to compare them, is a reg. camera light meter.

hot stuff said:
For information on growing, color curing, curing, aging etc. I suggest you go to www.howtogrowtobacco.com or www.fairtradetobacco.com on facebook I'm at https://www.facebook.com/groups/134958949879345/ Looks like you had some commercially prepared seed.

thanks for the info. when i finish my move, ill dig into that for sure.

yea these are "treated" seeds. basically just coated in silica + some fungicide, and a systemic to fight bacterial issues i think.
they had 100% germ as far as i could tell.... i even found a few extra plants? must have been 2 seeds in one pellet, IDK.

i had ONE solo cup with 2 plants die off like 2 days after transplant... i think i missed this plant during my waterings, im not sure tho.

Interesting. I had a slight idea of what they were, but it's good to get solid feedback. My understanding didn't extend much beyond that they're better watt for watt than curly pig or high watt CFLs in SCROG microgrows, or atleast preferred.

I've never seen them referenced on a pepper forum, hence the deucity.

miguelovic said:
Interesting. I had a slight idea of what they were, but it's good to get solid feedback. My understanding didn't extend much beyond that they're better watt for watt than curly pig or high watt CFLs in SCROG microgrows, or atleast preferred.

I've never seen them referenced on a pepper forum, hence the deucity.

yea i dont know that many companies build PLL lights in the first place, thats probably why they are more popular with the cannabis folks.... as they tend to get much more involved building things and customizing things etc. 

these lights are quite popular with architects as well... wall washers, up and down sconces etc.

on another note, if any one is interested, i would be more than happy to share seeds, seeing as how i have a few hundred of each variety.
i just need a SASBE. 

i didnt think to offer earlier... as most folks i think are tuned off by treated seeds in general? IDK. they are quite cool if you ask me.

They are certainly easier to plant individually.  I usually do untreated and sprinkle a bit on the soil and then transplant when they're older.

Back