• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Forum Debate: Are you For or Against GMO?

I am:

• Total voters
GMO (Genetically Modified Organism) is genetically modified foods. Scientists who work for big corporations that sell to your local grocery store work tirelessly to genetically modify the foods we consume. The reason for this is to make the plant more resilient to pests, weather damage, produce to the plant's absolute limit, produce abnormally larger crops, etc.   This is absolutely profound in my opinion. LET MOTHER NATURE DO HER JOB. Take the poll to support your claim and let everyone know why. If we can't prevent GMO, we should force these corporations to place GMO labels on they're products to give US a CHOICE. So done with society these days.

Which are you for? I am seriously opposed to GMO.

Live off the land! That's why I grow my peppers and as much of my food as I can :)

Dont know if you know, but GMO foods are also linked to seriously incouraging cancer growth and other diseases due to the bacterias they put in the nucleus' of the cells they Genetically Modify. Well, bacteria multiplys rapidly right? now you know what they use to speed up growth. In my opinion Monsanto needs to be stopped and retired permanently! we should only eat foods the way god has created them!

Frankie Ruiz said:
Dont know if you know, but GMO foods are also linked to seriously incouraging cancer growth and other diseases due to the bacterias they put in the nucleus' of the cells they Genetically Modify. Well, bacteria multiplys rapidly right? now you know what they use to speed up growth. In my opinion Monsanto needs to be stopped and retired permanently! we should only eat foods the way god has created them!

I couldn't agree more. Look around at girls today. You see the 13 year old who has a chest and the physique of a 24 year old? All the hormones in our meat and dairy. Not to mention decades of chemical abuse that causes our society all of these mental health issues. Anxiety, depression, etc.

It kind of depends on the type of gmo. If it's just taking genes from say one pepper and grafting it onto another pepper sequence to by hybridization to better guaranteeing what characteristics a plant gets, I don't have a problem with that.

I do have a  problem with grafting on genes of one species or kingdom and grafting them unto the genes of a completely different set of genes, i.e. tomato genes to corn genes. or human genes to plant genese.

Frankie Ruiz said:
looooooooooooooooooooool

the smallest bacterium are way way way larger than the nucleas of a plant cell.
how does mean ole Monsanto stuff them in there?

what they ACTUALLY do is insert a small gene sequence that encodes for the the same protein that the bt bacteria produce.

obeychase said:
I couldn't agree more. Look around at girls today. You see the 13 year old who has a chest and the physique of a 24 year old? All the hormones in our meat and dairy. Not to mention decades of chemical abuse that causes our society all of these mental health issues. Anxiety, depression, etc.

its because we are all much fatter now. same deal is happening in europe where they, for the most part, do not use hormones on milk cows.

you know those little chinise acrobats in the Olympics? there body fat is so low, that they do not go into puberty until they stop training. its a common deal, you should look it up.

queequeg152 said:
its because we are all much fatter now. same deal is happening in europe where they, for the most part, do not use hormones on milk cows.

Generally true - research has shown that girls go into puberty once they cross the 100-pound threshhold. 

Not for or against really.. I don't have a problem with them in theory but have some concerns about them in practice. ie  testing process before release, the fact that their DNA can be patented . 

On the other hand, if you know someone with Diabetes ,they depend on a little old GMO bacteria to stay healthy.    A GMO bacteria is used to make a synthetic human insulin, that is less likely to cause allergic reaction than the old way of chemically modified  insulin extracted from cow and pig pancreas. Of course that isn't the main reason big pharma switched to it, it is substantially cheaper than the old process too.

GMO is the evil, it makes sense only for the big companies making tons of $$$ and hired 'scientists' that tell you it's harmless..

Cya

Datil

Ashen said:
Not for or against really.. I don't have a problem with them in theory but have some concerns about them in practice. ie  testing process before release, the fact that their DNA can be patented . 

On the other hand, if you know someone with Diabetes ,they depend on a little old GMO bacteria to stay healthy.    A GMO bacteria is used to make a synthetic human insulin, that is less likely to cause allergic reaction than the old way of chemically modified  insulin extracted from cow and pig pancreas. Of course that isn't the main reason big pharma switched to it, it is substantially cheaper than the old process too.
I should have specified. I mean GMO here for the food industry. Not diabetes treatments, etc. while it is interesting, it's just not what I meant.

Back to the food aspect. GMO causes environmental damage, cross pollinates and contaminates other plant species, and more importantly just isn't plain healthy. I mean it is INSANE to be putting a "genetically modified de encoded blah blah blah" into your system. I'm even MORE pissed that big corps like Kelloggs, Ocean Spray, Dole, Del Monte and more are spending millions to fight the law consumers want in effect that legally requires these companies to label GMO.

Maybe if they did this no one would buy and cause these companies to absolutely collapse, which they should. Honestly if you're a corporation that cares that much about having "the best of the best" to the point where you need to go back on your morals and serve pure bullshit, maybe I don't need your juice or canned fruit or cereal, etc.

Do what you can and know the brands that support GMO. That way you can say no and rid as much of it out as you can.

OK...my opinion is probably going to start some stink...

IMO...the results they are looking for are exactly the same results we, as pepper growers, are striving to achieve...difference is they use a stylus in the lab and we use generation upon generation of plants to modify the genetic code based on traits we want....larger plants, more productive plants, better tasting plants.....they just get there quicker than we do

as far as the other things go such as young girl breast size....I don't think you can attribute that totally to hormones....I am sure the small amount of hormones may have some effect, but I bet you a dollar to a donut...larger breast size in young girls is due to natural selection...

here is a good example of exactly what I am talking about and it comes from the dark ages and right after concerning the human population....it is a known fact that today's human is taller than they were back 800 years ago...and the life span is longer due to improvements in cleanliness and health...

I may be a simpleton but that is my opinion...if you grow your own food (to what ever extent you do) why worry about it...

I am at the age that I really don't care any more....I have had a good life and will eat what ever I feel like no matter where it comes from....

what say you regarding fat girls with big breasts.

perhaps you should at least acknowledge, and correct, the misinformation you posted previously, before spreading more.
AlabamaJack said:
but I bet you a dollar to a donut...larger breast size in young girls is due to natural selection...
haha. could be.

As someone who actually knows what GMO is, all the claims of cancer are BS. While I don't like Monsanto for other reasons, and think there should be a label for allergen reasons, there is no reason to get flipped out about it.

Any GMO pepper shouldn't be counted as the worlds hottest, nor should any that has any GMO in its ancestry. Copy pasting the capscaicin gene five or six times is cheating. 

For other GMO things, go for it. There are no adverse affects unless they're actively put in the nucleus of whatever's getting modified. Just because you can put carcinogens in food through modifiying its genome, doesn't mean that all GMO foods are carcinogenic. The GMO golden rice creates vitamin A, which would save up to 670 thousand children below the age of five each year. Golden rice does nothing different from white rice other than creating vitamin A, because the only genes added to it are ones related to the production of said vitamins. Again, this could save hundreds of thousands of lives, and even more people's eyesight. No one has to eat it, but don't campaign against other people's health because of some objection. That being said, patenting the DNA should be illegal. Plants do as they wish, and that includes spreading to other people's fields. Suing someone over this is retarded.

Also, the glowing cats are cool: http://abcnews.go.com/images/Health/ht_glowing_cat_jrs_110912_wblog.jpg

in my mind I don't believe GMOs are the source of all this nonsense you hear for example gmos make people fat how about the lack of exercise and the amount of calories and fat you uptake. people like to have something to blame I think technology has damaged our society i see it everyday kids playing xbox or on a tablet instead of playing outside

what allergies?

also the claim that monsanto is suing folks for cross pollination is complete and utter bunk. its been disproven a number of times.

about 92% of what you hear regarding monsanto is utter bullshit. its important to recognize that.

Also, how to GMO cause environmental damage. Less seeds and better tasting is the LAST thing a wild plant would want, and they're usually incompatible with the wild variants, so no cross breeding.

Nightshade said:
in my mind I don't believe GMOs are the source of all this nonsense you hear for example gmos make people fat how about the lack of exercise and the amount of calories and fat you uptake. people like to have something to blame I think technology has damaged our society i see it everyday kids playing xbox or on a tablet instead of playing outside
imo its more to do with ignorance, and the ease of which people can spread bullshit.

chemtrails are one thing... but all this idiotic mouth frothing about gmo foods could very easily, via political nonsense, damage a technology that could in time, be insanely, mindbogglingly beneficial to the environment and humanity.

Back